You are not logged in.

#5751 2017-01-15 17:49:50

elan17
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Vivacacy wrote:

This is my first Linux Distribution and I've already learned so much from following the installation process! I can't wait to customize my system to my liking.

-RR

Lol. I remember when I migrated from Mint, it was a nightmare and you just said is your first linux distro. You're a hardcore guy wink. Have fun, you'll end up installing Arch in 1/ 2 hours

What do I hate most?. Well. Being at university working with IDEs like bluej and distros such as Ubuntu when I'm used to edit config files and code with my pretty awesome Vim at my hard-builded Arch system. Yep, that sucks.

#5752 2017-01-17 15:49:05

jc-arch

Hello there! I'm juan and I'm from Costa Rica. I've been using Linux distros back and forth since Mandrake ever existed, it's been a while and I've been constantly learning, which is one of the things I like the most from Linux and its community smile I moved a couple weeks ago from Fedora to  Arch Linux as my first rolling release experience and I'm loving it so far smile hope to see you around, help on what I can and of course, never stop learning.

Have a wonderful day guys!

#5753 2017-01-18 07:24:23

gorg

Quick hello to everyone! Just another fella trying to bring linux to the desktop!
Happy tweaking wink

#5754 2017-01-18 17:08:35

Texbrew

Welcome aboard, all you recent fellow newbies. Let's see, I think I have some merit badges around here somewhere for you.

Have fun on your Arch Linux journey. You might want to keep a box of Band-Aids and some aspirin handy, but it will be great fun!

tex

#5755 2017-01-21 23:46:53

Miarch

Hi everyone,
after i didnt got satified anymore by customizing my s6 edge (Its perfect for a while now) i tried Ubuntu with kde. After 2 days i got mad as hell and i didnt take it anymore! Ubuntu is terrible. So after some research i find out that Arch is the thing for me. And here i am. i know how to use the terminal to install and delete some packages. Thats about it. Hey its my second arch day! Already got trouble with instaling compiz and xfce. But i am not gonna ask for help right away.. I wil figure it out. How i got here on arch?.. wel with drivedroid and feliz ^^ Had no experience enough to just make a live usb from ubuntu or a dvd. It just didnt work. i tried many times with different gui and also with terminal. So before i got to eat my notebook i had to get arch really fast.
My notebook is single boot ext4 1.2 tb i7 octa 8 gb ram all for arch smile I love it. now i have a android (linux) phone and an Arch (linux) notebook

P.s. I am also a member at xda developpers

Last edited by Miarch (2017-01-21 23:55:31)

#5756 2017-01-22 17:38:32

Hessu
Website

Hey guys, greetings from Finland!

Started using linux with Redhat 6.2, quickly moved to Debian and that's been my main OS for desktop pretty much all the time since, Centos and Freebsd on servers. I've at least tried almost every major distribution, used some of them more than others, but eventually got back to Debian until just recently found Arch. Now I'm finally at the situation, where I can run same OS/Distro on desktop and servers smile

Cheers!

#5757 2017-01-22 22:01:48

Likhon

hi all..

#5758 2017-01-23 00:27:56

BrianM

Hello from a noob... 

Well, sorta.  I had my first taste of *nix back in the mid 1990's whole doing phone support for hotel point of sale software, some of the hotels were on legacy systems so we learned what we could.  Since then I've dabbled with a livecd every few years, only really lived with it on secondary computers and Never as a primary.  Well, while I'm currently happy with my Windows 7 system I know that the time will come when it shouldn't be my daily driver.  Heck, I already have to run an XP system in VM just to handle some equipment that's irreplaceable, so I'm giving more serious considering to linux going forward.  I tried Mac (I know, it's *nix based now) and hated the whole experience, so Linux is really my only hope for an OS when looking long term.

Why Arch instead of Mint or Ubuntu or any of the thousand others?  Well, while I spent ~20 years doing IT work (generalist, I was doing more project management and budgeting for the last half than actual IT work), I also love to work on motorcycle/be a mechanic.  Making systems work, and Minimalist systems at that, is something I enjoy.  Plus, I learn best when forced to work through a problem....  Arch sorta sounds like the right angle to cover those bases, so I'm trying to get it going as a dual-boot in my brand new laptop.  Yup, a new, modern computer was the prompt for me go this route...  not trying to push an older unit to keep working (mmmmm, Lenovo P50 workstation).  I prefer dual-boot over virtual so it's a little more painful to switch to Windows (though I'm hoping to go full-time Linux with just a Windows XP VM as my "down the road" option).

Anyway, back to reading and trying to sort through the issues I'm coming across.

#5759 2017-01-24 18:12:06

VirtualArcher

Hello, everyone. I've been a (primarily) Debian user for several years. Just recently decided to pick up a lightweight PC and have a completely personal Arch installation. Hope to have a blast and get a nice system going.

#5760 2017-01-24 20:58:06

famar

Hi everyone!

Switching from Ubuntu to Arch, let's go! smile

#5761 2017-01-25 06:19:32

bornofflame

Howdy all.

I dabbled in Ubuntu for a while until my computer crashed. Liked it enough that I wanted to keep delving into linux, only without the new weirdness that ubuntu had become at the time. Fast forward a few years and I am in need of a new laptop as my windows machine had taken a fall. I was gifted one with no hard drive and, after supplying an old one of my own tried to figure out what version of linux to install. Loaded a few onto usb and tested them out before settling on Arch. Love it so far. I'm mostly a lurker by nature, but I wanted to let y'all know that I really appreciate the depth of the wiki and all of the aid I've been able to get just from looking there. Thanks a lot!

TLDR; I've gotten Arch successfully installed thanks to the wiki and am slowly making it my own. Love it!

#5762 2017-01-25 11:00:37

xoan

Hello everybody!

I've been using Arch Linux for a long time, but never posted here (most of the problems i've had, even all, have been solved by diving into the Wiki or by a quick search here smile)

So... Thanks!

Last edited by xoan (2017-01-25 11:03:18)

#5763 2017-01-29 11:07:56

MetaKnight

Hello fellow Archers!

#5764 2017-01-29 14:22:20

nxse
Website

Yo waddup.. 

Earlier today, I tried to install an abandoned AUR package. It won't install, so I fixed the PKGBUILD. I thought I should update the package, so I adopted the package & did my first contribution to an open source project.

#5765 2017-01-29 14:32:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

nxse wrote:

Yo waddup..

Sup d00d smile

Thank you for your efforts and welcome to the forums!

#5766 2017-01-29 21:22:04

varlathass

Hello all,

Arch noob here. Took 4 different attempts at installing, screwing up/breaking everything, and just general confusion towards linux before I started 5 months ago to really use and enjoy Arch. Made a bit of a mistake of not getting to know linux through a "simpler" distro first. Just went off the deep end tongue Loving all the things I'm starting to be able to do now (once I figure out how to do said thing without breaking everything ^.^ )

#5767 2017-01-29 23:50:38

Texbrew

A little time has passed since I offered my unofficial welcome to new forum members, so, "Welcome, Y'all"!

@varlathass, kudos for starting out with Arch. "Simpler" distros  are often fine if you just want to use linux. If you want to learn how it works, I can't think of a better way than using Arch.

If you have the means to do so, I think it's a good idea to have an alternate way to access the web if problems arise in your Arch machine. This can be done in a number of ways, rescue disk, OS on a thumb drive or second hard drive, etc. For me, the easiest method is just a second computer.

Better by far is to read the front page news and new forum posts before you upgrade and install new software, in my opinion.

@nxse, Wow.

For any readers, I really enjoy this thread. I guess that's obvious.

Have fun!

#5768 2017-01-30 12:43:55

tro69

Hello Archers smile

#5769 2017-01-31 23:05:26

cacofonix

Hi all.. long-time Xubuntu / Lubuntu user here. Got attracted here by all the detailed (and very impressive) documentation. Looking forward to spending a bit more time figuring Arch out.

#5770 2017-02-01 20:27:02

kidpixo

Hi everybody,
this is my first adventures on a linux-only-machine (an used dell latitude e7740 from ebay, bargain!) migrating from yeaaaars of mac : my first game machine was my dad Apple ][e, used mac since then.

Long story short, I'm now on Arch + i3wm and feeling pretty warm and nice here.

My first approach took weeks just to double boot, understand EFI etc, now it is running nicely, just the standard pacman kernel upgrade > /boot nor loading > grub exploding.

I must say that what point me to Arch was the wiki : I fond me reading more and more there for other stuff lately, then I jump in.

Bye from Berlin!

#5771 2017-02-02 07:02:35

-fab1en-

Bonjour everybody,

I am a mechanic since for ever, and I want/need to learn something different, the goal is to be able to write simple programs using C language.

And I am sick of "Win$$$mescouilles"

So here I am learning linux for 2 weeks with some distributions. Later, I wich I could only stick with Archlinux.

I just installed Archlinux on a old pentuim 4 and already have questionsss.

...and I love the manual, ok!?    smile

Bisous!!!!

Fabien

#5772 2017-02-02 11:51:22

Doktor-Linux

Hello all, so good to be an official archuser

Daily tip of the Ðøĸŧør→Linux: For the Health and the Well-Being of your computer, always use Linux.

#5773 2017-02-02 22:47:59

Arzigogolato

Hi everyone!
I've been using linux for years, but lately I've decided to take it seriously with Arch...I am an applied mathematician, but I'm also interested in computing, hpc, internet security and a lot more...So good to be part of this community smile

See you soon on the forum!

Sorry for my English: so far I've never touched the soil of an English speaking country...

#5774 2017-02-03 06:36:24

smakked

Hi Guys, Im back on Archlinux, have not had a Linux install for about 3 years, not even near a PC for that time really . But back into it again.
Anything much changed dramatically that i have missed? Install is still easy as i remember and everything seems to be the same which is a good thing.
All is well so far, one thing to note non arch specific is Gnome is pretty nice now seems to do what i want it to do.

Anyway see you around the forum and IRC.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#5775 2017-02-03 16:44:33

adomas
Website

Hello Arch Community!
I was with Windows past few years, since when I got a new PC somehow turned into gaming very strongly smile as GNU/Linux has much less games than Windows, I abandoned Arch for around 2-3 years now. But few days ago I formatted my SSD and installed Arch with the help of Arch Anywhere installer. Everything runs so smooth and now GNU/Linux has much more games than before. I am happy to return to Arch, now I feel again in control of my PC smile I am very impressed with Plasma 5.9 by KDE Community, it's really great. I was long time KDE user, since 2.0 release I think (Mandrake Linux back in 2001~) and I still use it today! It's great that GNU/Linux is getting more attention recently, specially by game developers. Love it! Arch FTW! GNU/Linux = <3 #LinuxMasterRace

Board footer