You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-01 19:46:48

peque

Wireless on IBM R51 - REALLy F....... [SOLVED]

Hi Guys.

Not I´m really really confused - and don´t know what to say and think anymore.

So here´s the problem:
At home I have a wireless network, and in school I have a wireless network. There´s also wireless at my sisters and many many more places.
at home and in school when I start my laptop, the network starts without any problems. There´s no wired in. but I´m starting both interfaces - and everything works just great.
But when I visiting my sister and other places - during boot netwprk fails (OK) But never at a time, when I´m not at home or school, I have been able to get ligth in the wireless (So thats its on - not connected - just on)
What can that be. Even though I have the keys to other networks I´m not able to use these becaurse I can not turn the wireless network on??? Do anybody have an Idea about this ???? How and what should I do? I´m totally blank about this.
When I start in Windows the same place - the network turns on and connecting right away.
I´m using ipw2200-fw and loading my modules so that it´s in the right way
MODULES=(ipw2200 e1000)
Both adresses run as dchp
And well that´s it. I´m sitting at my sisters and should be here the next 14 days, so please help, so I´m not are forced to use Windows becaurse the need af using the internet!

Thanks
Peque

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2006-06-02 01:22:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Wireless on IBM R51 - REALLy F....... [SOLVED]

is the network that doesnt work WEP?

is it properly configured however you've configured it? check for typos.

after you boot at the network it doesnt work on, run 'iwconfig' and see if it has numbers -- not 00:00:00:00:00:00, next to 'access point'. if it does, then just run 'dhcpcd ethx' where ethx is your wireless card, to get an ip. If it has zeroes, your wireless settings are incorrect.

James

#3 2006-06-02 05:40:18

peque

Re: Wireless on IBM R51 - REALLy F....... [SOLVED]

In this case just to get the things working I have tried to disable WEP.
Iwlist eth0 scan --> show the network I want to connect to, but no matter what I´m not able to connect to it.

Normally at home and on my school the wireless network works just perfect. But at home I haven´t connect to the AP, but here there´s only zeroes about the AP. So how do I connect to the correct  network,

Just getting better .... All the time

Board footer