You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-27 19:05:39

glyons

Packages moving from official repositories

Hi

I have been using arch linux for about nine months now.
The last time I logged in about a week or so ago I had 25 Foreign packages installed in system
I now have 56 packages ( pacman -Qm)

examples include JS17, gnome-commander etc.
On inspection they appear to have been formally in the official repos and now in AUR or nowhere.

I never noticed this before.
I went online and checked news, reddit and forum expecting there to be discussion of this but cannot see anything.
Are packages removed from official repos all the time or are there mass  purges at regular time intervals.

Just curious how it all works?
Is stuff removed  from AUR as well

Regards

#2 2017-01-27 19:10:20

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Packages moving from official repositories

Check the arch-dev-public mailing list.

Short version, people decided it was long past time to get rid of old crap that wasn't supported upstream anymore.

Last edited by Scimmia (2017-01-27 19:11:07)

#3 2017-01-27 19:35:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

glyons wrote:

Are packages removed from official repos all the time or are there mass  purges at regular time intervals.

Neither really.  Packages are dropped periodically, but certainly not on any schedule.  They may be dropped because they've been abandonded upstream and interest in keeping them limp along here has declined.  They may also be dropped if the dev/TU maintaining them leaves or looses interest in maintaining them.  You may find there are certain varieties of packages that this may happen to more often - In years of using arch I've only seen a couple packages I've had installed dropped - but I don't use any of the big DE-packaged tools.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-01-28 12:45:20

GordonGR

Trilby wrote:

Packages are dropped periodically, but certainly not on any schedule.

That is normal and well done, but in my opinion they could be just dropped to the AUR and, if not picked up by anyone within a reasonable time, then deleted. Otherwise one finds dependencies gone and issues created, like in the gstreamer0.10 circumstance. Just look at the number of comments in AUR/gstreamer0.10* packages…

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz, x86_64. AURs.

“No one without the knowledge of geometry may enter.“ Plato.

Board footer