You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-08 22:47:44

poetofnumbers
Website

linux toys / projects

Any one have ideas for linux toys or projects?  I'm intrigued by sites like LinuxToys.org and books like Linux Toys by Chris Negus.  Primarily, I use toys as an excuse to buy new things.  What are some toys you have or are thinking about doing?

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#2 2006-05-09 00:30:03

augustob

Re: linux toys / projects

When I get the time (around 2032, if I work the weekends) I intend to start an ncurses-based media center system.

I plan on shamelessly stealing ncmpc's interface, and coding support for:

* launching TV (tvtime, xawtv)
* local video media (mplayer)
* dvd (ogle)
* roms (epsxe, zsnes or whatever)
* mp3s (mplayer or mpg321 initially, mpd eventually)

Each one of these would be a "tab" (like in ncmpc) that allows you to add their action to the playlist (tab 1). The playlist would just move along playing the videos, unless it needs user input (exiting the tv software, closing the emulator).

Also, this software would forward lirc input to the current running application through simple keyboard events, to make configuration simple and straightforward.

Ideally the plugins would be dinamically linked so that you could add/remove them on the fly, but I can see keeping them  in the main binary in the beginning.

All this because I find mythtv/freevo to be bloated/big/fruity and I need something to do in my nonexistant spare time.

#3 2006-05-09 00:39:58

augustob

Also, I forgot to say WHY I want to do that:

Because I want to use it in my bedroom computer, which has a 19" CRT. This way I can just sit back with the remote, press Power and have it load up the ncurses media thingie (in a pixelsize=40 urxvtc) and watch some Scrubs. When I'm done, I press Power again and I'm right back on my work stuff.

Simply put, my computer has all my media but it's not dedicated to media playing. Get it?  big_smile

#4 2006-05-09 04:25:29

iBertus

Would like to build a media system with projector, but that'll be awhile from now.

#5 2006-05-09 05:00:07

Anonymo
Website

I went to the linuxtoys website and I want to try the multihead setup.  Would be nice to have the equivalent of six computers per computer, i guess.  My family only does web browsing, text and email/IM so this would be perfect.  This means I could buy a really good computer to experiment stuff on for me and have a decent computer[s] they can use.  I can also put all these monitors laying around to some use.

#6 2006-05-09 06:10:03

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I'm going to build a flying webserver and measure it;'s uptime in the time the helium baloons have kept it in the air at the end of the year.

seriously

James

#7 2006-05-09 07:32:24

FUBAR
Website

augustob wrote:

When I get the time (around 2032, if I work the weekends) I intend to start an ncurses-based media center system.

I plan on shamelessly stealing ncmpc's interface, and coding support for:

* launching TV (tvtime, xawtv)
* local video media (mplayer)
* dvd (ogle)
* roms (epsxe, zsnes or whatever)
* mp3s (mplayer or mpg321 initially, mpd eventually)

Each one of these would be a "tab" (like in ncmpc) that allows you to add their action to the playlist (tab 1). The playlist would just move along playing the videos, unless it needs user input (exiting the tv software, closing the emulator).

Also, this software would forward lirc input to the current running application through simple keyboard events, to make configuration simple and straightforward.

Ideally the plugins would be dinamically linked so that you could add/remove them on the fly, but I can see keeping them  in the main binary in the beginning.

All this because I find mythtv/freevo to be bloated/big/fruity and I need something to do in my nonexistant spare time.

Dude, do that! Maybe by the time you're ready, I'll have my dedicated media center with tons of ZFS hard disk space and I'll finally be able to watch the stuff I download on TV! smile

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#8 2006-05-09 11:18:36

augustob

But the whole point is that it's NOT dedicated!!

YOU ARE BANISHED FROM USING MY IMAGINARY PROJECT!

meh.

But seriously, you're seem like more of a candidate for mythtv than for my idea thingie.

#9 2006-05-09 15:02:27

Michel

Hello,

don't have much time, but here it goes: Entertainment system throughout the house using openmosix and ,if possible nmm-media-library. This is what I want to do in a phew words smile. Add to that probably the coda-filesystem, which I want to test.

If people are interested in building a patched kernel for this, let me know please.

Greetings,

Michel

#10 2006-06-02 20:02:17

jakep_82

augustob wrote:

Also, I forgot to say WHY I want to do that:

Because I want to use it in my bedroom computer, which has a 19" CRT. This way I can just sit back with the remote, press Power and have it load up the ncurses media thingie (in a pixelsize=40 urxvtc) and watch some Scrubs. When I'm done, I press Power again and I'm right back on my work stuff.

Simply put, my computer has all my media but it's not dedicated to media playing. Get it?  big_smile

What you're saying basically IS MythTV.  Yes, it's a little bloated, but I run it on my desktop without difficulty and I have nothing close to cutting edge hardware.  The only programs running all the time are MYSQL and mythbackend, neither of which are heavy on resources in this application.  When I want to watch TV or a recording I start the frontend.  When I'm done I close the frontend and I'm back to my nice KDE desktop.  I've even seen simple scripts people have written to turn the frontend on if it's not and off if it is when you hit power on your remote.

#11 2006-06-02 21:30:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Me?

I have so many things "cooking" on back burners, that I have run out of burners..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer