You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-28 21:47:51

floo

acer/hotkeys/acer_wmi: strange behaviour

hi everyone!

i have a strange problem: all my fn-key-combinations on my acer R3-131T are working fine, except the wifi and brightness controls.
i already tried every kernel boot option i found but nothing worked for me (like acpi backlight, acpi osi and so on...).

i looked at my dmesg output and found the following:

"acer_wmi: Enabling Launch Manager failed: 0xe4 - 0x0"

i looked up what acer_wmi is, since i didn't knew it - looks like it handles (at least: some of) the hotkeys.

btw.: i also tried evtest on every device available and showkey, to look up the scancode of the brightness-control,
the problem is that both tool do not detect anything if i press the brightness buttons (it works for e.g. the volume buttons).

okay, back to acer_wmi...
i tried everything i can think of and now i realized the following: if i execute

sudo modprobe -rv acer_wmi; sleep 10; sudo modprobe -v  acer_wmi

and hit the brightness fn-combination while acer_wmi is unloaded, then the brightness is adjusted in the moment when acer_wmi is loaded again (the scanecodes are stored in some kind of buffer i guess?!)

the problem is, it ONLY works while acer_wmi is unloaded and is processed ONLY in the moment when it comes up again.

any ideas what the problem is?

#2 2017-01-29 18:54:25

floo

Re: acer/hotkeys/acer_wmi: strange behaviour

Finally found a solution...

In /etc/default/grub

edit the following line to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi_name='Microsoft 2006' acpi_backlight=vendor resume=UUID=43b358b5-aea3-466b-b099-8ea9fb9cdf4a"

the important part is

acpi_osi_name='Microsoft 2006'

which lies to the BIOS and tells it that Windows is running, not Linux.
(important: "Microsoft Windows NT" and acpi_osi=Linux didn't work!)

Don't know _why_ exactly that works, but at least it _does_.

#3 2017-01-30 00:32:29

floo

Re: acer/hotkeys/acer_wmi: strange behaviour

Well,... It wasn't the kernel parameter that fixed it, but the new kernel i installed (without realizing that I did).
Therefore: thanks for fixing (whoever did) big_smile

Btw: The Kernel Parameter is called "acpi_os_name", not "acpi_osi_name" as mentioned above.

Last edited by floo (2017-01-30 00:32:54)

Board footer