You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-30 13:32:12

Morv

Kernel 4.9.6 causing program and reboot/shutdown hangups

Hello,

since updating the kernel to 4.9.6 I'm experiencing two, for me, critical issues on my Thinkpad W541:

1. Programs randomly hang up upon starting or closing, eating 100% of a core and can't be killed. Programs where it happened: Gnome-Contol-Center, Gnome-System-Monitor, VLC, RocketChat standalone program.

2. I can't reboot/shutdown anymore. The system seems to do the task but it doesn't proceed further than turning off the displays. The LEDs of my notebook stay turned on and I have to hard shutdown the device by holding the power key.

I'm using GDM as display manager and Budgie as my DE.

I read about the second issue but It was called fixed and I've never experienced the first issue before.

Could be connected to this I guess -> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=222476

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Morv

Edit: It wasn't the kernel. It was me from yesterday trying to resolve tearing video playback by adding "Option "TearFree" "true"" to a newly created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file as described in the Arch wiki. Even after downgrading to 4.8.13 the issues persisted and the linked thread remembered me of that small change. I should've just reverted it instantly yesterday as it didn't help resolving the tearing issue anyway. After deleting the conf file the issues are gone.

EditEdit: Ok, it's not solved. It's still happening with Kernel 4.9.6(I reupgraded). Opera browser was just a black partial window and one thread of it showed the symptoms of 100% core usage and not being to be killed. The reboot/shutdown problems correlate with this I guess. I'm now again on 4.8.13(where I'll stay for now I guess) and opened various programs to see if one hangs up - didn't happen. Opera works as usual again.

Last edited by Morv (2017-01-30 22:17:36)

Board footer