You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-07 02:57:30

opscurus

Different users logging into different environments [SOLVED]

I'm working on an install that will be for an HTPC using Kodi and I figured out how to make it boot directly into Kodi without a login screen but I'm going to need the root account to be able to log into a command line but when I exit Kodi and log into the root account it goes right into Kodi. is there a way to disable Kodi for only the root account so I can use the command line for troubleshooting and updates? I'm using LightDM if that makes any difference.

Last edited by opscurus (2017-02-07 03:28:07)

#2 2017-02-07 03:01:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Different users logging into different environments [SOLVED]

You're not really providing enough of the right kind of details. For example, how are you auto-starting Kodi? Where do you 'log in to the root account and then it goes right into Kodi'?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2017-02-07 03:11:55

ewaller
Administrator

You should be able to change to a different console using CTRL-ALT-F2 (or F3 - F6). Let the first console be your auto login to Kodi .

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-02-07 03:19:35

opscurus

I did what the wiki page for Kodi said to do to autorun on boot using LightDM
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ko … r_ondemand
and what the page for LightDM page said for enabling autologin. I set the autologin user to my user and the desktop to Kodi. I rebooted to test it then exited Kodi which brought me to the LightDM login screen. I tried to login to root so I could do more configuring assuming it would bring me to a command line and it started Kodi. I just looked again to make sure there was no other DE option on the DM screen. I still have a lot to learn about Arch, I won't lie, so I'm sorry if I sound like a noob.

#5 2017-02-07 03:21:18

ewaller
Administrator

And Ctrl-Alt-F2?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2017-02-07 03:22:55

opscurus

Basically what I'm trying to do is when I turn my computer on have it autologin and start Kodi and when I exit Kodi and go to the DM be able to log into either a different user or root and be able to use just a command line for updates and troubleshooting. I don't want to install a DE because I'm trying to keep this as lightweight as possible.

#7 2017-02-07 03:24:15

opscurus

I just tried what you said. That works great. I never knew about that. thank you.

Board footer