You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-04 11:02:30

jfjallid

Setting underscan/overscan for extended desktop on 1080i TV

Hello!

I have a setup with 3 monitors (where the last is a 1080i Philips TV) extending my desktop. The TV has not got any options for adjusting over/underscan or anything else helpful which leads to the edges of the pictures displayed on the TV being outside the visisble screen. To solve this problem I've tried using nvidia-settings and configured underscan 50 for the TV which leads to black borders to the left and to the right but that is good enough for me. My problem is that I can't get the settings to persist reboot or restart of X.

I've tried running nvidia-settings as root and saving the settings to xorg.conf and it is updated but after a reboot I get another problem. The underscan seems to be working correctly but the desktop area seems to be wider than combined screen size meaning that when I move my mouse all the way to the right (through all of the screens) I get horizontal scrolling. I've tried running "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" but that did not help the problem. When I run nvidia-settings again the underscan setting is saved but the screen position for my two seconday screens including the TV is changed and if I move them to all be aligned to the top the horizontal-scrolling-problem is removed and it works correctly but I have to do this after every reboot.

I've tried using autorandr in an attempt to save my current configuration but I guess it is to complex as the only thing that happened when I tried to load the config was that all the screens was set to an overlapping position where all had the upper left corner in (0,0).

This is what nvidia-settings looks like after a reboot:
http://i65.tinypic.com/20j3es1.png

This is what nvidia-settings looks like after correcting the position:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2ezu6tf.png

This is xrandr after reboot with problem with horizontal scrolling:
http://i68.tinypic.com/29kz5te.png

This is xrandr after correcting problem in nvidia-settings:
http://i66.tinypic.com/xpaopi.png

This is my xorg.conf:
xorg.conf

I've updated my system and I'm running gnome as my desktop environment. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mod edit :replaced oversized images with url. Please see the Code of Conduct regarding acceptable image sizes. -- WorMzy

Last edited by WorMzy (2017-02-07 11:32:49)

#2 2017-02-07 07:35:59

Hydranix

Re: Setting underscan/overscan for extended desktop on 1080i TV

nvm

Last edited by Hydranix (2017-02-07 07:37:44)

#3 2017-02-07 08:34:49

jfjallid

nvidia-settings save configuration generates a file "~/.nvidia-settings-rc" that is loaded by nvidia-settings -l. It seems, however, that the file does not contain any information regarding screen position, underscan or resolution.

#4 2017-02-07 20:56:29

TheSgtBilko

Are you sure there are no settings on the Phillips FTV for Game/Computer mode?

All "Flat" TV's I've connected via HDMI have had some setting for that.

#5 2017-02-07 21:03:54

jfjallid

TheSgtBilko wrote:

Are you sure there are no settings on the Phillips FTV for Game/Computer mode?

All "Flat" TV's I've connected via HDMI have had some setting for that.

I've been looking through all the options thoroughly and you can configure the output for PC. However, the edges are still outside visible space on the TV so underscan is still needed. I'm using the default mode instead of PC because that gives better result after adjusting underscan as compared to using PC mode and adjusting underscan.

There are no other options on the TV to adjust under/overscan, aspect ratio etc.

Last edited by jfjallid (2017-02-07 21:05:36)

Board footer