You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-08 22:18:13

camochris01

Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

Just curious if anybody else uses Arch as their go-to OS throughout the day and what your industry is? I am a technology consultant who does a whole bunch of network troubleshooting, sales quotes, online training, data recovery, travel between sites, RDP, VPN, and a lot of other good stuff. Our customers range anywhere from manufacturing to k-12 education. I have found consistently that with a little bit of patience and know-how, Arch rivals Windows in flexibility and universality, and blows it out of the water in reliability. I still dual-boot Windows just in case I run into Linux specific problems in the field, but my default boot choice is Arch.

My hardware is a Dell Latitude 3550 with 8GB RAM, Core i7, Nvidia and Intel built in graphics. Running the Cinnamon window manager, Terminator for my terminal, and Conky for the "Wow" factor.

Long live Arch.

#2 2017-02-08 23:21:24

Awebb

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I use Arch for everything but video games and testing/supporting windows versions of software I write. As a former CS student, I am originally an admin with experience in medical laboratory diagnostics and "the automotive sector". I have teaching experience (the local equivalent to a High School), as well as private training. Now I'm working as a quality management consultant in a certain medical branch, but I let a customer talk me into writing software for them.

It doesn't matter, what I use, not anymore. I'm running Arch in the Linux subsystem for Windows 10, it slowly replaces cygwin in many cases. Anyway, it wouldn't matter for the most part, most of my work is done in a couple of ssh sessions. Arch is good, because it's as convenient as any binary distro, but comes with little to no defaults.

#3 2017-02-08 23:48:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No.  No one here really uses archlinux.  Arch Sucks.

We're just a bunch of neckbeards who tinker with arch linux in our mom's basement during our free time ... which we have a lot of because we are unemployed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-02-09 00:16:20

Pyntux

I do not use computer for work... big_smile

I do not speak English, but I understand...

#5 2017-02-09 00:20:47

Allan
Pacman
Website

I do.  Geneticist/Statistician by day, internet troll by night...

#6 2017-02-09 00:29:12

camochris01

Trilby wrote:

No.  No one here really uses archlinux.  Arch Sucks...

Hey! Don't knock the neard and tinkering in the basement... they keep those pesky girls away. Who even has the time to try to understand them anyway...?

#7 2017-02-09 00:34:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ha ... I just cant believe beating Allan to his line forced him to give a real answer.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2017-02-09 01:21:25

Awebb

Allan wrote:

Geneticist

I breed chicken in modded Minecraft. On Arch.

#9 2017-02-09 01:33:44

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:

Ha ... I just cant believe beating Allan to his line forced him to give a real answer.

My thoughts exactly.

Awebb wrote:

It doesn't matter, what I use, not anymore. I'm running Arch in the Linux subsystem for Windows 10, it slowly replaces cygwin in many cases.

Heresy!

Also, how's that work? I think I'd like to try that up on a new machine...

My laptop's been Arch only since the beginning, I keep the windows dual boot just in case I decide to sell it. Never actually use it, I have a VM for when I need to use Office 2013 (I also have 2010 running on Wine).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2017-02-09 03:44:03

Awebb

ngoonee wrote:
Awebb wrote:

It doesn't matter, what I use, not anymore. I'm running Arch in the Linux subsystem for Windows 10, it slowly replaces cygwin in many cases.

Heresy!

Also, how's that work? I think I'd like to try that up on a new machine...

General information: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_S … _for_Linux (It's Ubuntu by default, which would be the real heresy.)

Some stray soul trying to Archify the thing: https://github.com/alwsl/alwsl (I'd use it as a template to get started, the project is far from the quality you might be used to).

#11 2017-02-09 09:06:16

archimboldo

Yes, on all machines with specific configurations.

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#12 2017-02-09 14:57:46

Chocopuff

I remember when I was dualbooting Arch with OS X. I don't remember the last time I bootetd into OS X. It wasnt' until recently that I've been using Arch full on. It really is a joy to use.

Just a high school student over here. Use it daily.

But of course, ik that
!as
!ass

#13 2017-02-09 15:07:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ok, for the real answer, yes - I use only arch linux on all my computers and a few servers I run (one with a sustantial public user base).  I've not used any other OS in nearly a decade except for the rare event that I sit at someone else's computer*.  That usually lasts for a few seconds before I get so irritated and back away in a fit and just tell them what to do on their computer because I can't possibly use it (damn macs and their upside-down and hypersensitive touch pads and windows that fly around aimlessly while you are trying to do something in them).

I am a behavioral scientist, college instructor, with a doctorate in neuroscience and now working in genomics/bioinformatics.  I have no need nor desire (and apparently no ability) to use any other OS ever again.  (I do periodically dabble with Windows in a VM, but it's always short lived and never ends well ... for the windows install.)

*edit: I suppose the main compute cluster I shell into is running an ancient RHEL.

#14 2017-02-09 15:39:13

pekka

I use squrelinux, trianglelinux, circlelinux ....

#15 2017-02-09 17:01:51

Stewart Little

I use Arch Linux on all of my computer Desktop devices for everyday work including sometimes listening to music and playing video games via steam.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#16 2017-02-09 17:02:45

JohnBobSmith

Or you could use shapelinux, pekka. One shape-sized linux to rule them all!

I will be returning to Linux Mint strictly for school purposes. Assuming I can get the silly ISO to download properly. Arch will have one HDD, Mint the other. And of course, Arch will *always* be my /home. big_smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#17 2017-02-09 18:56:38

c00ter

I am stuck on Arch Linux. And nearly sick of it. Before I was introduced to Arch, I ran whatever Linux Flavor of The Month. I've gone from distro to distro to distro since early 2001. Now I can't get away from Arch, and what seems to be the most frustrating is that I cannot find anything superior to it.

Although I have heard that Void looks promising...like an early Arch...

Last edited by c00ter (2017-02-09 18:57:27)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#18 2017-02-09 19:19:48

ratcheer

Arch is my "daily driver" (I also have separate installations of Gentoo and Fedora 25, but I just play around with them), but I'm just a retired UNIX geek.

Tim

#19 2017-02-09 20:53:25

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

For me in mathematics it doesn't matter what Linux distribution I use, as long as it's one with a lot of packages. The AUR and simple packaging format makes Arch a reasonable choice. Of course, when Allan breaks Xorg, my wireless card or plain wipes out my data, I'm relying on other people with working computers. Or my phone, which has the tendance to break whenever Arch doesn't. Nice balance wink

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#20 2017-02-14 19:04:37

Brcher

I use Arch as my daily driver but I'm a electrical engineering PhD student so I don't really count. My industry is "latex writing in vim," "fortran programming in vim," and "spice model editing in vim" and reading email. I have yet to figure out Mutt, so currently my requirements appear to be vim and thunderbird. Arch runs both admirably.

#21 2017-02-14 19:23:30

ugjka
Website

No I don't run Arch, I'm just here to give people bad advice...

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#22 2017-02-14 19:36:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch at home (apart from a Debian server) and at work exclusively for at least seven years.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#23 2017-02-15 11:51:52

PReP
Website

Ive been using Arch wherever i am allowed since mebbe 2009 (which probably isn't for long compared to many others)
The reason very often ending up being that it saves me the most stress and time in the long run - the reasons most probably not needed to be re-iterated as we all know then from Arch exposure smile
Mostly, the only reasons i'd have for sometimes hooking up something else is to familiarise myself with something in order to help others not running Arch.

My girlfriend runs arch on her machine aswell now, i am only sorry that i inflicted it on her when she expresses frustration from conditioning to the openbox-setup we share, when she needs to use anything else now.
we've a workflow that seems to resonate well with both of our brains.

A side thought of mine that ive been thinking alot on lately,
is that this is where Arch (or in general linux), excells aswell, as it is less "one main type of human catch-all general guesstimate workflow" then a default windows system,
So for my sanity, comfort zone, and laziness i am forever grateful that arch provides a very quick access to a system you tailor to yourself as far as possible.

(Ps, in my mind id say a point about the topic of this thread, about Arch is that we are the ones driving, mostly ^^)

Last edited by PReP (2017-02-15 11:52:25)

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#24 2017-02-15 23:09:32

herOldMan

As a system administrator, I use Arch... exclusively.
At home, I use Arch... exclusively.
The wife uses Arch... exclusively.

To interact with the rest of the world, I (and the wife) maintain a few dozen VMs.

#25 2017-02-16 16:32:42

librett0

Arch on my desktop, laptop and work computer.  Home servers are CentOS.  Work servers are mostly Ubuntu LTS, Debian, and some FreeBSD.  Alpine Linux for Docker containers.

Though, one of Docker's engineers is using CoreOS as a desktop OS, which is pretty amazing.  She's known for doing weird stuff with containers.  I'm going to have to try something similar.

Last edited by librett0 (2017-02-16 16:37:03)

Board footer