You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-08 09:31:21

Ashren
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2007-06-13
Posts: 1,226
Website

rxvt-unicode sluggish after recent update

After upgrading yesterday to the latest packages I notice that rendering with rxvt-unicode has become laggy. Using intel with the uxa.

No errors in Xorg.0.log

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection

.Xresources

#include "/home/ashren/c-schemes/solarized"

Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.autohint:   0  
Xft.dpi:        96
Xft.hinting:    1  
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault  
Xft.rgba:       rgb

! rxvt-unicode ---------------------------------------------------------------
 
!for antialiased fonts (using Xft)
URxvt.font: xft:Dina:style=Regular:size=10
URxvt.boldFont: xft:Dina:style=Bold:size=10
!URxvt.font: -*-screen-medium-*-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
!URxvt.boldFont: -*-screen-bold-*-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
!URxvt.font: xft:Px437 IBM PS/2thin4:style=Regular:size=12
!URxvt.boldFont: xft:Px437 IBM PS/2thin4:style=Bold:size=12
!URxvt.font: xft:Luculent:size=05:style=regular
!URxvt.boldFont: xft:Luculent:size=05:style=bold
!URxvt.font: xft:Unifont:style=Medium:Size=9
!URxvt.boldFont: xft:Unifton:style=Bold:Size=9
 
URxvt.geometry: 120x30
URxvt.internalBorder: 5
URxvt.fading: 20
URxvt.shading: 80
URxvt.tintColor: #222222
URxvt.inheritPixmap: false
!URxvt*depth: 24
URxvt.depth: 32
URxvt.saveLines: 32767
URxvt.visualBell: false
URxvt.scrollTtyKeypress: true
URxvt.scrollWithBuffer: false
URxvt.scrollTtyOutput: false
URxvt.scrollBar: false
URxvt.scrollstyle: plain
URxvt.scrollBar_right: true
URxvt.scrollColor: #777777
URxvt.cursorColor: #ffcc00
URxvt.loginShell: true
URxvt*termName: rxvt-256color
URxvt.cutchars: "()*,<>[]{}|"
URxvt.print-pipe: cat > $(echo URxvt.dump.`date +'%Y%M%d%H%m%S'`)
URxvt.secondaryScroll: true
URxvt.mapAlert: true
URxvt.utmpInhibit: true
URxvt.perl-lib: /usr/lib/URxvt/perl/
URxvt.perl-ext-common: default,matcher
URxvt.url-launcher: /usr/bin/firefox
URxvt.matcher.button: 1
URxvt.urgentOnBell: true
URxvt.intensityStyles: false

Anyone here have similar issues?

Xterm seems not to have this issue.

Last edited by Ashren (2017-02-08 09:37:10)

Offline

#2 2017-02-08 17:35:08

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 4,086
Website

Re: rxvt-unicode sluggish after recent update

What packages did you update?

Are you using rxvt-unicode from the official repositories, or from the AUR (like me)?

If you remove your "~/.Xresources" and "~/.Xdefaults" files and restart X, is the issue still present?

Offline

#3 2017-02-08 21:49:22

Ashren
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2007-06-13
Posts: 1,226
Website

Re: rxvt-unicode sluggish after recent update

I found out that is was the following in my .bashrc which was the cause:

# After each command, save and reload history
export PROMPT_COMMAND="history -a; history -c; history -r; $PROMPT_COMMAND"

So, upgrading to bash 4.4.011-2 somehow causes the following with urxvt (both the official and the one from aur) and the .Xresources above:

-bash: PROMPT_COMMAND: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
-bash: PROMPT_COMMAND: line 0: `history -a; history -c; history -r; history -a; history -c; history -r; ; printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"

Before I figured this out I switched to st, which is working just as fine as urxvt. I'll stick with st for a while now I think.

Aaaah!

Deleting the marked semicolon from /etc/bash.bashrc also fixes the problem.

case ${TERM} in
  xterm*|rxvt*|Eterm|aterm|kterm|gnome*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND this one --> ; }'printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'

This means I also had the problem with xterm. My .Xresources masked the stderr output for some reason.

Why this problem suddenly occurs I have no idea yet. On my desktop machine I'm using bash 4.4.011-2, urxvt with the same .bashrc and there is no issue.

Last edited by Ashren (2017-02-08 22:35:00)

Offline

#4 2017-02-08 23:31:28

Ashren
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2007-06-13
Posts: 1,226
Website

Re: rxvt-unicode sluggish after recent update

The plot thickens.

This problem only occurs in XMonad. smile

Offline

#5 2017-02-09 19:50:47

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 20,400

Re: rxvt-unicode sluggish after recent update

No idea why this causes sluggishness in rxvt (except that you should be likely using urxvt), but you're too smart for bash:
Do

export PROMPT_COMMAND="history -a; history -c; history -r"

and see what happens ;-)

Offline

#6 2017-02-09 22:21:11

Ashren
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2007-06-13
Posts: 1,226
Website

Re: rxvt-unicode sluggish after recent update

Thanks, seth.

rxvt-unicode is urxvt. smile

It appears problem was with the export part (but only when using XMonad for some reason).

Apparently there is no reason to export PROMPT_COMMAND since it is an environment variable for bash.

Frankly, I can't see the point of appending the $PROMPT_COMMAND variable to PROMPT_COMMAND and I can't remember why it made sense. I was probably following some guide. smile

Anyways, after yesterdays update it stopped working with export, and only when using XMonad, which is rather strange.

I have decided to stop wasting time on troubleshooting this minor issue.

This is what I ended up with in .bashrc

PROMPT_COMMAND="history -a; history -n"

Thanks for your time.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB