You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-03 17:33:29

Forum_Liker

Remote Control PC

Hi. Who has a this remote control, it will work on Linux system?  Who has any remote control use?

#2 2017-02-03 19:19:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Remote Control PC

I've used a few related devices.  Most of them are recognized as a keyboard and/or mouse.  So they work as well as any keyboard or mouse - and they work as well on linux as they would on any other system.

I considered getting the one you linked to a while back.  It has a sort of joystick mouse.  I have no doubt that this would be properly recognized as a mouse in arch just like any other usb mouse.  The concern I had was that the device itself might be hard to use as a mouse.  But this would be no different from using it on any other OS.

The question really should be what do you want this remote to do?  As it would be recognized as a keyboard/mouse it can only do what a keyboard or mouse would do.  The keysyms it sends would need to be bound to some useful response in your system (e.g. your WM or DE).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-02-11 07:03:32

severach

Re: Remote Control PC

Get a FLIRC. Most any remote in your junk box will work with it. Any button can be adapted to whatever you need it to do.

If you have a USB port on your monitor, buy a right angle plug to face the receiver where the remote will be.

Last edited by severach (2017-02-11 07:04:41)

Board footer