You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-12 00:19:46

ivokosir

[SOLVED] TL-WN822N not showing in ip link

I'm trying to install arch on my pc using external usb wifi adapter TP-Link TL-WN822N.
Wifi is the only way I can connect with that pc.

Firstly, when I run

lsusb

the the adapter has no name, just:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:0108

There is also nothing on it when i run

dmesg | grep usbcore

so I concluded that i need kernel module. I found that my adapter needs module ath9k, and running

lsmod | grep ath9k

didn't have output so I loaded module by

modprobe ath9k

After doing that i had output of

lsmod | grep ath9k

and

dmesg | grep usbcore

returned nice line:

usbcore: registered new interface driver carl9170

But output of

ip link

still outputs just loopback and ethernet and device in

lsusb

still doesn't have name.

I should add that I'm dualbooting with windows and the device is working fine there.

EDIT:

After running usb-devices I can see my adapter with fields

Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=802.11n NIC
Driver=(none)

As I'm installing on another computer, I can't just copy and paste output, but those are fields that I think are important.

EDIT2:

Ok, after some searching, i think that my device should use rtl8192eu, but there is no module with that name. I also
saw in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=219909 that i can use rtl8xxxu driver. But when i run

modprobe rtl8xxxu

still nothing happens.

Is there a way to make my device use a driver?

EDIT3:

Bought TL-WN722N, works out of the box.
To person from the future (if adatper still isn't suported) if you have TL-WN822N 4.0 you will need 8192eu driver which can
be installed from aur, but you will still need internet connection. People in the comments recommanded some solutions with
usb phone tethering and similar. Good luck!

Last edited by ivokosir (2017-02-12 17:11:49)

#2 2017-02-12 10:18:39

seth

Re: [SOLVED] TL-WN822N not showing in ip link

That's v4 of the dongle and not an atheros but realtek chip. The driver is not in the mainline kernel, you'll have to install the module via dkms.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/8192eu-dkms/

#3 2017-02-12 12:38:27

ivokosir

seth wrote:

The driver is not in the mainline kernel, you'll have to install the module via dkms.

Yes, that is what i feared.. And how in the world do I do that without internet?

#4 2017-02-12 14:56:16

seth

"Not" - however, we're talking, so you're wired ;-)

Options:
a) borrow a wifi dongle w/ stock support
b) skip dkms, install linux-headers, fetch the module sources, build & install it locally (aside the package manager) so you got a working network - then tidy up.

#5 2017-02-12 15:37:17

ewaller
Administrator

c)  Plug in a phone capable of USB tethering.  Put the phone in to USB tethering mode.  On the Arch Box, run dhcpcd; the tether is treated as a wired Ethernet while the phone provides NAT forwarding to whatever wireless solution it is using (WiFi or Cellular Data)

Edit:  I guess this is an extension of a)

Last edited by ewaller (2017-02-12 15:38:17)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2017-02-12 15:54:49

JohnBobSmith

As long as the kernel (and all related packages IE kernel-headers) on the device in question and a second device with internet acess are *exactly* the same, one would hope you can build the modules on the internet capable box. The uname -r outputs should match on both machines. Then, copy/paste the built modules over to the malfunctioning box by means of USB flash drive(s). I don't see any obvious reasons why this can't work.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#7 2017-02-12 16:20:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

JBS, there's no need for all that.  All that's missing from the target machine is the internet connection to download the sources.  It doesn't matter if the kernel versions match or if it's even a linux system: if the sources can be downloaded on another computer and put on a flash drive, they can be built on the target machine.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2017-02-12 17:06:54

ivokosir

I wrote from my mobile phone, now i write from pc. I didn't try it with phone, in the end, i just went to store and bought TL-WN722N (read some linux reviews on internet), the hassle wasn't worth it. New dongle works out of the box, so, i guess solved? Sadly there isn't anything to write home about, but atleast i learned about kernel drivers smile

Board footer