You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-13 11:44:13

sylvain

[SOLVED] Dropbox couldn't start

Hello everyone,

I've post this topic in the 'Newbie corner' but it got no answers... So I'm trying right here.

I'm issuing problem with Dropbox after an update to KDE Plasma 5 (I was fed up with Gnome ;-). everything was working as a charm before though...). I've read many messages related to this problem on this forum but none helped. Here is the situation :

I run

$ uname -a
Linux black 4.9.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 6 12:59:40 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have dropbox, dropbox-cli packages installed (even made a reinstallation of them). I did not use any systemctl service to manage Dropbox but instead I have

$ cat ~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop 
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dropbox
GenericName=Network Storage
Comment=Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily
Exec=dropbox
Icon=dropbox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;
StartupNotify=false

At login, I have the window "Couldn't start Dropbox" with a message about permissions which I've checked

$ ls -al | grep Dropbox
drwx------   37 sylcha users      4096 Feb  9 14:20 Dropbox

I've checked a tmp file too :

$ cat /tmp/dropbox_error2B4KgE.txt

[get_extra_trace_info failed]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 840, in boot_error
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 5336, in get_dropbox_path
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_dropbox_path'

Original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 5615, in main_startup
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 2078, in run
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 1182, in startup_low
  File "dropbox/client/configuration/manager.py", line 595, in load_instance_data
  File "dropbox/client/multiaccount/instance_database.py", line 1357, in get_info_by_instance_id
  File "dropbox/client/multiaccount/instance_database.py", line 1283, in get_master_row
  File "dropbox/sqlite3_helpers.py", line 797, in _runner
  File "dropbox/client/multiaccount/instance_database.py", line 599, in _create_row
  File "dropbox/sqlite3_helpers.py", line 181, in execute
OperationalError: database or disk is full

I did the

pacman -Sc

command to clean the

/var

directory, remove

~/.dropbox

and

~/dropbox-dist

, but that did not help.

I did the following using the dropbox-cli to start dropbox and got the same damned message "Couldn't start Dropbox" error window and this error message in the terminal.

$ dropbox start
static QPlatformTheme* QKdeTheme::createKdeTheme(): Unable to determine KDE dirs

I'm a bit lost so far. Does anybody have an idea to solve my problem? Thanks in advance,
Sylvain

Last edited by sylvain (2017-02-14 14:39:47)

#2 2017-02-13 12:04:54

Docbroke

Re: [SOLVED] Dropbox couldn't start

Have you tried to recompile the package, as dependencies may have upgraded?

#3 2017-02-13 15:41:51

ewaller
Administrator

sylvain,

In the future, if you wish for a topic to be moved, please use the report link and drop the moderators a note with your request.   One of us are usually around so it happens pretty fast.  Don't Cross-post

Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-02-13 16:50:03

sylvain

I apologize for having follow the "do not cross post" rule. I was not aware of it, sorry!

Regarding the fact whether I recompiled the package, well, I did not. I just installed the 'dropbox' package using the 'pacman' command as usual. I thought everything was tied together so if I use this kind of installation, the relationship with the 'dropox' package and the whole system will be working nice.

If I take look at the Dropbox wiki they are talking about a 'dropbox' package on AUR instead on a "regular' package from arch. Or I installed 'dropbox' using 'pacman -S dropbox'.

So, I removed all packages related to 'dropbox' (pacman -Rns dropbox dropbox-cli nautilus-dropbox) and reinstalled it again using 'yaourt' from the AUR repository to force a recompilation.

After recompiling, everything starts fine. There are about 200 000 files to be indexed so it will take time to build the Dropbox system. I let it go and will tell you whether it work in the long run or not (that why I'm keeping this thread as not solved right now).

Thanks for your help!
Sylvain

#5 2017-02-13 16:57:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

So you aren't using Arch Linux. There is no dropbox in the official repositories, therefore `pacman -S dropbox` will not install anything.

This is obviously a Manjaro or some other spinoff thing, and is not supported here.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2017-02-14 12:27:24

sylvain

jasonwryan wrote:

So you aren't using Arch Linux. There is no dropbox in the official repositories, therefore `pacman -S dropbox` will not install anything.

This is obviously a Manjaro or some other spinoff thing, and is not supported here.

Sorry but I DO use Arch Linux. Can you explain this so? Does pacman find a dropbox package because it has already been installed from the recompilation?

$ uname -a
Linux black 4.9.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 6 12:59:40 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ sudo pacman -S dropbox
[sudo] password for sylcha: 
warning: dropbox-17.4.33-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) dropbox-17.4.33-1

Total Installed Size:  139.17 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.21 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

#7 2017-02-14 13:03:02

Docbroke

Have you added custom repositories??

#8 2017-02-14 13:46:58

sylvain

Yes, you're right. I added this repo because I use 'yaourt'

http://repo.archlinux.fr/x86_64/

and dropbox package is in their list...

#9 2017-02-14 14:02:12

Docbroke

I would suggest to remove that repo, you can update dropbox, yaourt etc., from aur using your already installed yaourt.

#10 2017-02-14 14:38:54

sylvain

I will follow your advice. By the way, everything is working fine now. I will edit this post to mark it as solved. The fixing was in removing all packages related to dropbox and recompiling these packages instead of installing it from the repo archlinux.fr.

Thanks for your help guys !

#11 2017-02-14 14:40:53

Scimmia
Fellow

The fact that something in repo.archlinux.fr doesn't work isn't a surprise, it's the normal condition. Get rid of that crap.

Board footer