You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-14 21:00:08

darkhan

Lenovo Y50-70 battery reset

Hi all,
I have been using Archlinux on my Lenovo y50-70 for couple years without major problems. Recently I left my laptop in the car while it was freezing outside (-30°C) for several hours.
Now, the battery shows only 0% charge and when I charge it, it says `charging` but the percentage never goes up.
I assume, I need to perform some kind of battery reset.
I tried discharging the battery completely and then leaving the laptop overnight with the AC cable attached twice already but it does not help.
I remember that in preinstalled Windows there was a power management tool provided by Lenovo which had an option for `Resetting the Power Gauge` (or something like that, I might have messed up the name). I do not have original Windows install but might be forced to install Windows just for fixing this issue.

Does anyone know any other way of fixing this problem?

Thanks.

#2 2017-02-14 21:09:52

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 battery reset

Storage temperature limits on most Lithium Ion cells is -20°C.   Lithium Polymer is about the same.

You did not hear it from me, but you might try this http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti … ge_cut_off
Be very, very careful

Edit:  The site I linked actually says the extreme limit for most chemistries is -40°C, but I just checked the data sheets for the batteries within reach and they state -20°C

Last edited by ewaller (2017-02-14 21:16:11)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-02-15 17:53:17

darkhan

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 battery reset

Thanks for reply.
I was thinking more of software based solutions. Maybe something like https://github.com/teleshoes/tpacpi-bat which works with Lenovo y50-70?

I might try it if I fail to find anything else.

Board footer