You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-04 02:14:37

davy_crockett

[SOLVED]Switching from GPG to Kwallet for storing credentials

Hi there,

When I installed KDE and used networkmanager, it offered to store my credentials with either GPG or KWallet. I opted to use GPG at the time. Following on from that, I've streamlined my installation to use as few passwords as possible, and I read here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Wallet it's possible to synchronise unlocking kwallet with your login.

How can I:
1. Store my NetworkManager and other credentials with Kwallet instead of GPG?
2. Or instead, not have to enter my GPG passphrase each time I log in and want to use the wireless network?

Note that I could probably do this by deleting my GPG key, although I'd obviously prefer to keep it if possible, and instead have KDE switch to using Kwallet for storing my credentials.

Last edited by davy_crockett (2017-03-16 07:52:13)

#2 2017-02-04 10:31:39

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED]Switching from GPG to Kwallet for storing credentials

Sure it wasn't kwallet who were asking you if you wanted to use a traditional blowfish backed storage or your gpg key?

As for the unlock, you can eg use pam to unlock the keyring at the same time as you log in.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2017-02-04 10:32:17)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2017-02-10 04:17:46

davy_crockett

I've looked through the wiki pages on GnuPG and Kwallet and I wanted to know what part of the system that makes it look for GPG credentials to store my wireless passphrases and the like. To experiment, I tried renaming my .gnupg directory in my home directory to see what would happen next time I booted up, hoping it would prompt me like on a new installation whether I would want to use GPG credentials or kwallet to store my wifi passwords. However, the kwallet GPG backend popped up and prompted saying "error when attempting to decrypt the wallet kdewallet using GPG. If you're using a SmartCard, please ensure it's inserted then try again. GPG error was Decryption failed."

How do I get kwalletd to stop using the GPG backend and switch back to using blowfish to store my credentials, such as wi-fi passphrases? Then I'll be able to synchronise it to my login and use PAM to unlock it at login as explained in the wiki.

#4 2017-02-10 06:49:57

davy_crockett

I was able to switch to Kwallet blowfish encryption by going to Kwallet manager and deleting the existing Kwallet and then it prompted me for a new one, which I created and it correctly stores my wi-fi passwords. However, I'm unable to sync it to my login to KDE. I followed the instructions specified here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Wallet by editing /etc/pam.d/sddm

auth            include         system-login
auth            optional        pam_kwallet5.so
account         include         system-login
password        include         system-login
session         include         system-login
session         optional        pam_kwallet5.so auto_start

My wallet is named "kdewallet" and it has the same password as my user account. I also have autologin configured on SDDM as per this article: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM#Autologin

#5 2017-02-16 08:19:27

davy_crockett

I managed to get it to automatically use my credentials by turning off autologin in /etc/sddm.conf. So it works if I manually sign in through SDDM. Is there a way I can get kwallet to automatically use my credentials if I have autologin enabled or is this not possible?

#6 2017-02-16 09:47:56

swalladge

davy_crockett wrote:

Is there a way I can get kwallet to automatically use my credentials if I have autologin enabled or is this not possible?

I doubt it. This normally isn't possible because with autologin, your password isn't in the session to be used by kwallet for unlocking it.

Board footer