You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-14 04:16:44

etregoning

[Solved] Install- Pacman not found after using arch-chroot

Hello, I am trying to install Arch in a multi-boot environment  on a GPT partition table. I have tried following along with several guides, but no matter which one I use, I seem to get stuck at this point.

After installing the base packages, when I try to arch-chroot to change the locale and install grub, none of my terminal commands work anymore. Immediately after running

arch-chroot /mnt

it appears to successfully chroot, but also says

bash: ls: command not found

immediately after. Then, when trying to run vi/nano to change locales file, or trying to use pacman to install grub, it also tells me command not found.

I have tried using arch-chroot as well as regular chroot, and have also tried to use

source /etc/profile 

after using arch-chroot or chroot, but it still tells me command not found when using pretty much any terminal command.

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I have spent the entire day googling and searching this forum (and others) but have not been able to find a solution to this problem, so I figured I would ask here. Thanks!

Last edited by etregoning (2017-02-17 23:21:05)

#2 2017-02-14 04:35:15

HiImTye

Re: [Solved] Install- Pacman not found after using arch-chroot

did you skip the pacstrap step?

#3 2017-02-14 04:38:32

etregoning

No, I did the pacstrap part. That was done before trying to chroot. I did

pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel

#4 2017-02-14 05:39:52

HiImTye

strange, the base group is the group that contains those commands. have you tried an alternate ISO?

or maybe to verify that those are present after you ran pacstrap?

Last edited by HiImTye (2017-02-14 05:40:20)

#5 2017-02-14 05:49:11

etregoning

I'll have to run the installer again and check, but I'm pretty sure they were. I guess I could just try another ISO too.

#6 2017-02-14 11:06:14

ayekat

Before the chroot, what is the output of this?

ls /mnt

After the chroot, what is the output of this?

echo $PATH

pkgshackscfgblag

#7 2017-02-14 12:00:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

etregoning wrote:

I have tried following along with several guides ...

Do or do not.  There is no try.

What "guides" are you following?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2017-02-14 12:38:56

Awebb

Trilby wrote:

FTFY?

#9 2017-02-15 04:01:14

etregoning

Trilby wrote:

Do or do not.  There is no try.

What "guides" are you following?

I say try because I was "doing", but whatever I was doing wasn't working.

I have been using the wiki guide as a base and if I don't understand something I googled and watched a several different videos as well as read several different guides. I can't remember exactly where all of them were from, I was mainly looking at the date to find the most recent ones. They were just random tech sites. I could check my phone's browser history to find out exactly which ones, but I mainly just looked for the most recent guides from the first 2 pages of google.

ayekat wrote:

After the chroot, what is the output of this?

echo $PATH 

I was a bit busy today but I just got home and I'm about to write a new iso onto this usb drive. If I'm still having problems I'll run that command and write down what it says. I read a post saying that someone else got this same issue and writing the iso to a dvd rather than a usb solved this issue for some reason. If it still doesn't work with a fresh iso on usb, I might just try using a dvd.

#10 2017-02-15 12:10:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You missed my point.  Do use the wiki.  Don't use youtube.  Using youtube videos is a frequent cause of all sorts of breakage.  The "arch linux" videos are so horrifically bad that you are generally better off knowing nothing than knowing what they will try to tell you.

If you come here for help without knowing anything, we can give you good information.  If you come here already loaded up with incorrect information we have to first get rid of all those false ideas.  And in this case we don't even know *which* false ideas you've been given.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2017-02-16 09:13:33

etregoning

The problem was the ISO I guess. I remade my flash drive with an ISO from a different mirror and everything installed fine. One hang-up remains but its not a huge problem to me -- On the grub window, it doesn't list my windows boot manager on there. I rarely use windows, only for certain apps that aren't supported on linux, so I can always just change the boot order in the bios to start windows, but if possible, is there a way to get windows to show up in the grub menu? Thanks for all of the help by the way.

#12 2017-02-16 17:24:57

mrunion
Website

Read the Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … oot_loader

If you are using GRUB, read the Grub article, if you are using SysLinux read that article.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#13 2017-02-17 23:20:25

etregoning

mrunion wrote:

Read the Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … oot_loader

If you are using GRUB, read the Grub article, if you are using SysLinux read that article.

Alright thanks I'll check it out. I'll go ahead and mark this one solved and if I'm still having issues, I'll make a new thread about grub detecting windows since it's a separate issue than what I made this thread for. Thanks again!

Board footer