You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-20 02:17:50

lefsha
Banned

Kernel Update & Dependence

Hi all,

Recently I moved to Linux-lts, because I get tired of frequent kernel update and corresponding issue like modules update and requirements to reboot
in order some programs like VMWare Player will be able to find a proper module inside of proper dir.

Now, I see no big change. The updates for Linux-lts are coming as frequent as stock Linux. Why? Frankly I don't believe there is a huge treat coming
every week or so and require us to update. The problem with that is if one skip the updates, then how do some one knows that the next coming update
is really critical? Why would not be possible to reduce frequency of such an update to the minimum?

Second question. After moving to LTS I found very strange behaviour. Some packages require Linux package and not happy with LTS version.
To my understanding that is clear bug in dependency tree. It must have a standard virtual package Linux and the real package like Linux-stock
or Linux-lts should trigger availability of virtual package.  Similar like its done in Gentoo.

What the logic behind of any package to depend on kernel if I don't run it anyway?

Similar situation exists in other packages. Especially python and lua. Installation of lua51-something will install all 3 versions of that package for 53, 52 and 51
release of lua, triggering lua52 as dependence while only lua51 is requested.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by lefsha (2017-02-20 02:20:45)

#2 2017-02-20 02:23:10

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Kernel Update & Dependence

I don't see any real problems here. The LTS kernel is for stability of not adding new features, not updating less. Packages that require "linux" generally do require the linux package because that's what they're built against.

#3 2017-02-20 02:30:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Kernel Update & Dependence

lefsha wrote:

Some packages require Linux package and not happy with LTS version.

Can you give an example?  I know of several such packages, but for each one there is also a corresponding -lts version.  If you replace linux with linux-lts you also need to replace <pkg> with <pkg>-lts.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer