#1 2017-02-21 06:49:12

hiveNzin0

[SOLVED]Help me understand - 16gb to 32gb RAM - black screen

Hi,

I have this motherboard and this RAM :

Asus Maximus VI : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DB4 … UTF8&psc=1
16gb RAM (4x4) : GSkill Ripjaws Z Series 1866
Nvidia GTX 1070

Yesterday, I received 4x8gb ram crucial ballistix (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B009CX … UTF8&psc=1).

I installed them and turned the computer on. I arrived on the desktop and the size of my task bar was huge (like normal icons on the left and right but the tab for 2 applications took all of the space on the task bar). Additionally, the application on the main screen was bigger than usual. I restarted the computer and I could reach grub, after that I get a black screen (I am using the proprietary drivers). I thought that maybe the RAM had a problem so I booted on a gparted live usb to do a memtest but I have no error (I let it run all night).

This morning, I thought it was the graphic drivers for whatever reasons so I added "1" at the end of the Arch entry in Grub to get a maintenance terminal. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and installed the drivers "nouveau". I booted, I could see the login screen (KDE + SDDM). After the login screen, I get black screens on all my screens (I have 3 screens, 1 dvi and two displayport-to-hdmi) and can't do anything.

Since I can reach a maintenance terminal, any idea of the logs I should have a look at to find out the problem to fix it ?

The 32gb are supported since I can see that in the bios and I could see 32gb of RAM in htop when I could reach my desktop.

Thank you.

Last edited by hiveNzin0 (2017-02-21 20:49:45)

#2 2017-02-21 11:54:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Help me understand - 16gb to 32gb RAM - black screen

hiveNzin0 wrote:

... so I added "1" at the end of the Arch entry in Grub to get a maintenance terminal.

That will not do it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-02-21 11:57:57

Awebb

Don't login using the login screen, use a TTY (control+alt+F-keyes). If that fails and if Trilby's suggestion fails, boot the live medium and debug the system with arch-chroot.

#4 2017-02-21 11:59:24

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

What are the drivers you're using?  Did you update the system between the reboot and ram upgrade?  I am having fits with nvidia-340xx right now after updating for example.  Can you downgrade some packages using ALA and reboot and verify?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2017-02-21 12:19:31

hiveNzin0

Trilby wrote:
hiveNzin0 wrote:

... so I added "1" at the end of the Arch entry in Grub to get a maintenance terminal.

That will not do it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into

Okay thanks, I just wanted a basic terminal to access log files to try to find the problem. I'll do it the proper way tonight, thank you.

Awebb wrote:

Don't login using the login screen, use a TTY (control+alt+F-keyes). If that fails and if Trilby's suggestion fails, boot the live medium and debug the system with arch-chroot.

I will try that but I could already login in the maintenance terminal so I guess that's fine. I'll test tonight to login from a terminal when I reach the SDDM login window. Thanks.

graysky wrote:

What are the drivers you're using?  Did you update the system between the reboot and ram upgrade?  I am having fits with nvidia-340xx right now after updating for example.  Can you downgrade some packages using ALA and reboot and verify?

Right now, xf86-video-nouveau, I uninstalled the nvidia drivers thinking it might be that.
I don't remember if I updated the system or not. This computer was powered off for a week and I don't remember if I updated the system before the shutdown.
I will look for information on how to downgrade some packages using ALA because I currently don't know how to do that. Thank you.

#6 2017-02-21 14:53:06

seth

recap: you inserted more RAM, your icons were bigger, you guessed a connection (unlikely), started to play w/ the GPU driver and then things went south? ;-P

1. restore the former state
2. be careful not to conduct partial updates, notably not with the GPU driver. "pacman -Syu nvidia nvidia-libgl"
3. when back in plasma and still face huge icon, check the output of "xdpyinfo | grep resolution" and "xrandr -q". Does that fit your expectations on what it should be? Do things change if you  the screen setup (remove all but one, ideally keep the non HiDPI-prones)

#7 2017-02-21 15:36:57

hiveNzin0

seth wrote:

recap: you inserted more RAM, your icons were bigger, you guessed a connection (unlikely), started to play w/ the GPU driver and then things went south? ;-P

1. restore the former state
2. be careful not to conduct partial updates, notably not with the GPU driver. "pacman -Syu nvidia nvidia-libgl"
3. when back in plasma and still face huge icon, check the output of "xdpyinfo | grep resolution" and "xrandr -q". Does that fit your expectations on what it should be? Do things change if you  the screen setup (remove all but one, ideally keep the non HiDPI-prones)

Correct until "started to play". When I saw that my desktop was behaving weirdly, I rebooted. That's when I got blackscreen and I tried to change the drivers.

I'll try what you wrote, thanks.

#8 2017-02-21 15:47:01

seth

Ah, about that: ensure to disable the framebuffer console
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ramebuffer

#9 2017-02-21 20:49:24

hiveNzin0

I reached the SDDM login screen and I switched to a terminal, I then logged in.
I uninstalled nouveau drivers, I did "pacman -Syu nvidia nvidia-libgl" and I did what's mentioned by seth.

seth wrote:

Ah, about that: ensure to disable the framebuffer console
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ramebuffer

Now, everything is back to normal. Maybe my system was in an inconsistent state before I powered it off the first time, I don't know.

Thank you all.

Board footer