You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-21 12:40:47

0mark
Website

[Solved] GNU Screen "lag"

I currently have a weird problem with screen: sometimes, when the displayed text in a window changes much, the last few rows wont be updated, until a few seconds later (or when something else causes a redraw). Some examples (those happen often, but i had seen it on other ocassions):
- Visual bell quite often leaves the white background on the last few rows
- dmesg has the last few rows unchanged compared to what was on display before
- when mcedit is started, the windows becomes mostly black shortly, it seems that "last few rows" are almost all rows in this case.

It seems to happen more often with larger windows or 256 color mode (but happens too without). I am completely out of my wit here. I tried to search for that problem, but its kinda hard to even think up a good query. "gnu screen does not draw last rows" certainly aint one.

Last edited by 0mark (2017-03-01 16:05:43)

Ceterum autem censeo Systemdinem esse delendam

#2 2017-02-21 13:08:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] GNU Screen "lag"

Are you setting a TERM variable somewhere?  You shouldn't be.  What terminal emulator are you using?  What is the output of `echo $TERM` in your terminal both before and after you start screen?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-02-21 13:34:37

0mark
Website

I use rxvt-unicode. $TERM is "rxvt-unicode-256color" just in urxvt, and "xterm-256color" after starting screen (i set it that way, since i could not get high color to work otherwise).
When i dont set TERM in screen its "screen" then, but the problem remains.
When using xterm instead of urxvt $TERM is "xterm" in xterm and "screen" in screen, but the problem remains too.

#4 2017-02-21 14:05:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

0mark wrote:

i set it that way, since i could not get high color to work otherwise

Did you specifically set the TERM environment variable, or did you put a `term` entry in your screenrc (e.g. "term screen-256color").  The latter is correct, the former would be expected to lead to symptoms like what you describe.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-02-21 14:16:23

0mark
Website

Trilby wrote:

Did you specifically set the TERM environment variable, or did you put a `term` entry in your screenrc (e.g. "term screen-256color").  The latter is correct, the former would be expected to lead to symptoms like what you describe.

The latter one, although removing it didnt help anyway. I tested those combinations:

- urxvt [rxvt-unicode-256color, not manually set] + screen [xterm-256color, manually set in .screenrc via "term"]
- urxvt [rxvt-unicode-256color, not manually set] + screen [screen, not manually set]
- xterm [xterm, not manually set] + screen [screen, not manually set]

But its all the same.

#6 2017-02-21 16:21:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, that does seem to rule out TERM variable issues.  Unfortunately I'm not sure what else to look for.

Although not a solution, you may want to consider tmux.  I'd not want to get into any "multiplexer-wars" of people giving their personal preferences, but it seems that the overall use of screen is declining and tmux use is growing*.  You may find better support for the latter.

* note this isn't based on any real usage statistics, just my impression of online activity referring to either tool.

#7 2017-02-21 16:43:18

0mark
Website

Trilby wrote:

Although not a solution, you may want to consider tmux.

Not really, i just switched my wm and my browser. Enough for now wink

And honestly, im really curious about this issue. It worked one day and didnt the next. Cant remember of anything i changed. Pretty sure i did not update either. And the problem seems so weird.

I got the impression that maybe the redraw takes to long or something like that. It works often, but not always. Larger windows and/or more colors make it worse. I might try tmux just to see if its a screen problem or something more generic.

Last edited by 0mark (2017-02-21 16:44:34)

#8 2017-03-01 16:04:47

0mark
Website

Oh man. Found it. Seems to be i3's fault:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/I3 … _terminals

I did not connect that with my switch to i3. I didn't notice it until some days after the initial switch and thus did not make a connection.

Last edited by 0mark (2017-03-01 16:07:50)

Board footer