You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-22 01:40:44

bleaver

URXVT with pixbuf: "Unable to load base fontset"

Hello, I am trying to get a background image on my URXVT terminal. I have the rxvt-unicode-pixbuf package installed on one computer, and it works as expected. When I install this on my other computer, whenever I try to launch URXVT, I get the error "urxvt: unable to load base fontset, please specify a valid one using -fn, aborting.". Why is this?

It works on one computer, so does anyone have any recommendations for things to check to see what is different on the other?

I also have the same issue when I compile URXVT with the pixbuf flag enabled.

#2 2017-02-22 02:04:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: URXVT with pixbuf: "Unable to load base fontset"

The error is pretty self explanatory and it has nothing to do with setting the background image.  Have you tried specifying a font using -fn?

What is in your ~/.Xdefaults and/or ~/.Xresources on each of the computers?  What font are you trying to use?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-02-22 02:16:58

bleaver

Trilby wrote:

The error is pretty self explanatory and it has nothing to do with setting the background image.  Have you tried specifying a font using -fn?

What is in your ~/.Xdefaults and/or ~/.Xresources on each of the computers?  What font are you trying to use?

Yes, I have tried setting a font using -fn. Nothing I have tried has gotten the pixbuf version of URXVT to work on the other computer.

I am specifying the font the exact same way on both computers, (via .Xresources)

I am not trying to set the background image. I am just trying to start urxvt normally with the version compiled to allow for background images. Normal URXVT works fine on both computers.

I am trying to use Ubuntu Mono Bold, (which is installed), but it still does not work if I don't specify a font.

#4 2017-02-22 02:38:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What is the exact command used for the -fn flag?  Or (again) what is in your Xdefaults/Xresources.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-02-22 02:46:00

bleaver

My ~/.Xresources contains the following:

! remove scroll bar
urxvt.scrollBar: false

! set font and bold font
urxvt.font: xft:UbuntuMono:size=14:bold
urxvt.boldFont: xft:UbuntuMono:size=14:bold

! padding
urxvt.internalBorder: 10

This is the same on both computers.

The issue still persists even if I use a blank .Xresources

#6 2017-02-22 02:52:22

bleaver

For some reason, the package is not being built in the same way on both computers.

I installed the package the same way on both computers. Then I list the options URXVT was compiled with.

Working computer:

perl
xft
styles
combining
blink
iso14755
unicode3
encodings=eu+vn+jp+jp-ext+kr+zh+zh-ext
fade
transparent
tint
pixbuf
XIM
frills
selectionscrolling
wheel
slipwheel
cursorBlink
pointerBlank
scrollbars=plain+rxvt+NeXT+xterm

Non-working computer:

perl
styles
combining
blink
iso14755
unicode3
encodings=eu+vn+jp+jp-ext+kr+zh+zh-ext
fade
XIM
frills
selectionscrolling
wheel
slipwheel
cursorBlink
pointerBlank
scrollbars=plain+rxvt+NeXT+xterm

Even though the same package was installed in the same way on both computers, one of them is missing the options "xft", "pixbuf", "transparent", and "tint".

What could be causing this?

#7 2017-02-22 02:53:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What does `fc-match UbuntuMono` return? (edit: nevermind, this was crossposted with the above)

Did you modify the PKGBUILD?  It has "--enable-xft".

#8 2017-02-22 02:58:59

bleaver

Trilby wrote:

What does `fc-match UbuntuMono` return? (edit: nevermind, this was crossposted with the above)

I installed both packages with "sudo apacman -S rxvt-unicode-pixbuf".
I did not edit the PKGBUILD.
To my knowledge, I installed both packages in the exact same way, yet they are somehow compiling with different options.

What could be causing one package to build with different options than the other?

#9 2017-02-22 03:05:51

bleaver

Trilby wrote:

For some reason when I compile the rxvt-unicode package (enabling --enable-pixbuf in the PKGBUILD) and install them, only one actually works. It is missing the "pixbuf" option even after I compiled it with that flag set. The option is not missing on the other computer.

#10 2017-02-22 08:42:30

seth

Watch the build process, look out for error messages.

sudo apacman -S rxvt-unicode-pixbuf 2>&1 | tee rxvt_build.log

Just a hunch: are you on gnome?

Board footer