You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-22 11:32:15

balance

"Flickering" on my ThinkPad Yoga when scrolling

Hi,

so I have an ThinkPad Yoga with Enlightenment. Sometimes when scrolling I get some kind of flackering.  I was reading the wiki and googling but somehow I just stuck. SO here,s what I did:

I didn't install xf86-intel-driver because I read in the wiki that modesetting is better. From how I understand it, it is enabled by default. I also installed OpenGL and set enlightenment to use it. [I also used the other options in ENlightenment, didn't really change anything - but I'm a noob in this area]

Thanks for any input smile

Last edited by balance (2017-02-22 11:35:30)

#2 2017-02-22 11:59:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: "Flickering" on my ThinkPad Yoga when scrolling

balance wrote:

I didn't install xf86-intel-driver because I read in the wiki that modesetting is better.

That's not always the case.  On all my machines with intel cards I've been much happier with modesetting, but I think we are far from this being an objective and generalizable fact.  In some setups the intel driver will work better.  Try installing the intel driver, and if needed try the different 'AccelMethod' options.

But can you also describe when this happens?  Linux doesn't scroll.  Some programs will draw a scrolling page.  Web browsers are the obvious example.  Terminal emulators and text editors can as well.  What are you running when you see this problem?  Have you tried alternative programs for the same task?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-02-22 12:27:52

balance

It sometimes happens when watching videos or just browsing. I don't think it's application dependent but I'll keep my eye on it. So I'll try the driver then thanks

#4 2017-02-22 12:37:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you want further help, please take some time to actually describe the symptoms.  We can't see what you see.  All we have to go on is what you've told us - which at present is very little and inconsistent.  You originally said the problem was "while scrolling".  But now you say it happens while watching videos.  You don't scroll videos.

And you don't think it's application dependent, but frankly if you knew what it was or was not you wouldn't be asking here.  Does it do any harm listing some of the programs that are effected?  If you will not answer questions posed to you there is no way anyone can help.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-02-22 13:38:12

balance

I didn't post a list of applications because I first wanted to investigate it more so my list is better. smile I installed the intel driver now and If the problem still exists I'll try to be way more detailed.

Thank you

Board footer