You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-04 16:34:42

sm96dd

Lenovo Z510 Suspend Problem [Solved]

Hi everyone.
I have a lenovo z510 with arch linux running. But I hava problem with suspend and hibernate (I get black screen after waking from suspend).
I tested many other distro to fix this issue such as ubuntu and debian but they had the same problem.(except ubuntu 14.04.0 or lower)
I searched a lot to fix this bug on arch but as I understood it's a problem with new linux kernel so this bug must exist in all linux distro running new linux kernels, But today I installed manjaro and surprisingly suspend and hibernate is working without any problem.
Also I'm very happy that I could find a stable distro for my laptop but I really can't understand why this problem does not exist on manjaro at all. And I will be very happy to install arch on my laptop without any problem since I use arch as my main linux distro on other devices.
So how can I fix suspend and hibernet in my arch linux?
And what is the difference between arch and manjaro in this case?

Last edited by sm96dd (2017-02-23 01:00:20)

#2 2016-10-04 23:09:36

mrunion
Website

Re: Lenovo Z510 Suspend Problem [Solved]

sm96dd wrote:

And what is the difference between arch and manjaro in this case?

We don't know. The Manjaro DEVs do whatever customization they feel they want to do to their packages, and the Arch DEVs don't know what those are. That's why only Arch is supported on these forums.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2016-10-05 00:22:55

frank604

Are you looking for an explanation or to troubleshoot?  If troubleshoot: Does booting into LTS kernel resolve issue?  logs? lspci -vv? When you get the black screen on resume from suspend-to-ram, are you able to switch TTY?  What happens when you suspend-to-disk (aka hibernate)?  Dmesgs for both?

Once you understand what makes a distro different than another distro, you can understand why it works on some distros and not others.  It is a very good sign that the issue doesn't happen else where.  That means it can be achieved on Arch.
For example only, as we do not know the true cause:
1) Distro 1 uses linux kernel 4.4 and let's say Distro 2 is using linux kernel 4.7.  Your laptop has a regression that appeared from 4.6 onwards.  So when you boot into Distro 1, there is no issue.  Distro 2 is giving you an issue.  It could well be that you need a LTS version of the kernel.  A ++ would be if you file a bug report upstream. 

There are tons of reasons why things work and not work across distros.  The above is just one example.  Hope that gives you some closure.

#4 2017-02-23 00:59:49

sm96dd

I find the solution myself. Just follow arch linux instruction for installing bumblebee.

Board footer