You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-21 05:57:36

mreiland

Arch as VirtualBox Guest (Shared Folders not working)

Hey guys,

Arch Linux Host running VirtualBox with an Arch Linux Guest.  I know there's a meme in there somewhere (Yo Dawg...).

I'm attempting to setup a shared folder between the guest and the host and I seem to be running into a "protocol error".

I've seen a lot of reports that this can happen if the share is the same name as the directory you're mounting to, but that is definitely not the case for me.

Things I've done.

- added both root and user account to vboxsf
- chown :vboxsf /media
- fstab => dev /home/mreiland/test/t vboxsf rw,uid=mreiland,gid=mreiland 0 0
- chmod -R 777 onto the HOST directory just to be sure it's not a permissions issue between the host and virtualbox

All of these have failed.

I can't mount via fstab, I can't manually mount, I can't mount directly using mount.vboxsf, and /meda/sf_dev has nothing in it.  Just to check I've done a touch /meda/sf_dev/test.txt and it's definitely not showing up.

In addition, I saw a report that the automount flag on can sometimes interfere with the manual mounting, but I've tried that as well.  If I unflag the automount, reboot, and then try to mount via fstab, manually, or via mount.vboxsf, I still get the protocol error.

The exact error is "/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error".

I've tried every solution I've come across online and nothing seems to help.  At this point I'm completely lost as to where to go next to nail down what's causing this.

Does anyone have some ideas?  logs I can dive into, past experience that can help guide me, etc?

edit:

I've also noticed that running VBoxClient-all doesn't seem to enable copy/paste.  I've installed a windows7 VM that where copy/paste works, so it has to be something with the guest arch linux install.

I've verified that the kernel modules "vboxguest, vboxsf, vboxvideo " are all loaded, so I'm unsure what I could be missing.
and VBoxClient -V confirms that I have the same version matches the version reported in the VirtualBox help->about dialogue.

Last edited by mreiland (2017-02-21 06:11:19)

#2 2017-02-21 05:58:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Arch as VirtualBox Guest (Shared Folders not working)

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-02-21 15:17:09

ewaller
Administrator

Sounds like you have not loaded the vboxsf kernel module.

Edit:  Missed your last paragraph.
Edit 2:  Did you see this https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15868  ?

linked article wrote:

You're sharing a personal folder like your Home Folder (Linux), or My Documents (Windows) on the Host. Define a new share, like a sub folder.

Last edited by ewaller (2017-02-21 15:22:37)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-02-23 02:32:56

mreiland

Thanks for the response,

The folder I'm trying to shre isn't under the /home directory, it's actually in a different HD mounted under /mnt.

Board footer