You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-23 22:50:22

scindix
Website

Simulate a controller (e.g. via keyboard)

Is there a way to simulate multiple controllers?

I need to test if the performance of a game is good enough on my PC when it is played by four players. Unfortunately in order to do this I need four controllers (XBox or Steam) and I only have one (Steam).
Is there a way to emulate four controllers? I need to press a few buttons like the start button. And it would be best if I could control them via keyboard.

Thanks in advance,
Scindix

#2 2017-02-23 23:35:08

scindix
Website

Re: Simulate a controller (e.g. via keyboard)

Another way that may be acceptable is to duplicate the input of the controller three times. As I just want to test how well that works it would be ok if all four controllers that the game sees produce the exact same output.
But I don't know if and how that's doable.

#3 2017-02-23 23:49:07

Slithery
Administrator

No idea if this would work or not but you could try just creating extra symlinks in /dev/ that point to your current controller.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2017-02-24 10:18:10

scindix
Website

I tried to add a symlink named /dev/input/js1 pointing to /dev/input/js0, but to no avail. The game only sees one Steam Controller.
I tested that /dev/input/js0 is the correct device by using "cat /dev/input/js0", moving the joystick and pressing some buttons and it seems to be the correct one.
Maybe I have to symlink other file descriptors like the usb device as well. I will investigate this further when I'm have more time. But it seems that this is not as easy as I thought it would be.

#5 2017-02-24 11:00:40

Awebb

You should have mentioned "Steam Controller" in your initial post, it's a weird beast. How do you handle the controller? Through Steam? If so, no js symlink will help, because Steam is likely to switch to internal input libraries in different scenarios.

#6 2017-02-24 11:28:12

scindix
Website

You should have mentioned "Steam Controller" in your initial post

I did:

Unfortunately in order to do this I need four controllers (XBox or Steam) and I only have one (Steam).

But I admit that I could have made it clearer. Also the game I'm referring to is Rocket League, btw.
Yes, I'm currently using it through Steam. I haven't tried it via sc-xbox.py yet though. Maybe worth a try. I will report back on that.

#7 2017-02-24 11:53:33

progandy

You could try to use the evdev mapping of xboxdrv. If you have problems, borrow any three gamepads and map these.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ga … ontrollers

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer