You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-22 00:37:45

kpbochenek

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-592G

Hi,

my adventure with ArchLinux and Acer VN7-592G (for others also struggling to get things working) - IN PROGRESS

Ethernet - Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor - OK
Wireless - Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 - OK
Integrated GPU - Intel Corporation Device 191b (i915 driver) - OK
Dedicated GPU - ??? - ???
Bluetooth - ??? - ???
Audio -  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio - ALMOST
Video - blue frame, not scallable when playing mplayer
TouchPad - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad - sometimes jumps cursor to corner of screen
Suspend / hibernate - suspend OK, hibernate?
External monitor

Installation from USB:
During acer boot keep pressing F2 - it will launch Boot Utility.
In [Main] tab select "F12 Boot Menu" to be [Enabled]. This allows us to select booting from USB device only for installation. By default it will always try to start from disk drive which is what we want.
In [Boot] menu choose "Boot Mode" to be [UEFI]. You can go with legacy but UEFI works just fine.
Plug in USB drive, Save Boot settings and reboot. Keep pressing F12 until you see "Boot Manager" menu.
Choose your USB drive (in my case it is USB HDD: General UDisk) and press Enter.

You will probably see something related to "security issue" with a blue menu and a hash tool utility.
From archlinux forum "You also need to enrol the hash of /arch/boot/...../vmlinuz" (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166994)
After restart it will start with throwing a lot of exceptions:
"Jul 09 16:13:38 Wheatley kernel: nouveau E[   PFIFO][0000:01:00.0] SCHED_ERROR [ UNK06 ]"
This is not a stopping issue and we will fix that later.
For me first initialization just restarted laptop without a reason and returned back to boot menu but second time I saw prompt:
"root@archiso ~#"   - success smile

(installation and configuration of Arch...)

When we exit chroot, unmount all partitions and restart laptop without USB stick we will get "security error" -> "linux boot manager has been blocked by the current security policy"
Working solution described here(http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/how-to-fix-window-boot-manager-has-been-blocked-by-the-current/td-p/268548) says:
Use F2 during boot to get into "Boot Menu". Set supervisor Password, this will allow us to change "Security Boot" in "Boot" Tab to [Disabled]. Now after restart we should see boot menu and then prompt.

Wireless:
Board wireless device is: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174
Drivers for kernel are located in /lib/firmware/ath10k/
You probably don't have directory with QCA6174 driver as it is not yet released in standard kernel version for arch.
There is a great description how to setup this driver, which worked like a charm for me(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1520343)

sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/
sudo rm /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/* 2> /dev/null
sudo wget -O /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … n?raw=true
sudo wget -O /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … 1?raw=true
sudo chmod +x /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/*

Check `dmesg` output to verify you have the same version and driver doesn't report any errors.
I.e. for me it worked fine but was throwing errors that firmware-5.bin should be used but cannot be found.
I just renamed firmware-4.bin -> firmware-5.bin and there is no more errors(except specific board-pci-XXX.bin error -2 but it works)
Version I mentioned is just a fork of (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware). Default version didn't work for me but it might work for you.
After that `ip a` should report interface 'wlp7s0'.
I use nm-applet and when I try to connect I automatically get rejected connection. Worry not, go to configuration, type password for your wi-fi network and connect again.
Issue here is that it cannot display popup asking for a password. No idea why.

GPU:
My loader is UEFI with default configuration. This is how both files look like:

cat /boot/loader/loader.conf
#timeout 3
#default 4619409fe35941dd964fc078c06c8122-*
timeout -1
default arch

cat /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf
title        Arch Linux
linux        /vmlinuz-linux
initrd        /initramfs-linux.img
options        root=/dev/sda3 rw i915.preliminary_hw_support=1

Important part is an 'options' section with i915 parameter.
I also added:
MODULES="nvidia"
to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and regenerated kernel with command 'mkinitcpio -p linux' but this might not be needed.
After that xrandr shows:
xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 345mm x 194mm
   1920x1080     60.02*+

With these settings laptop suspends/resumes on closing lid correctly.

Somethimes screen flickers and then everything seems to be fine. This produces error in journal: " kernel: [drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun"
People state it is fixed in kernel 4.3(you can try more bleeding edge or just ignore and wait for proper release - I haven't tried)

Audio:
Right now audio works and can be adjusted / muted.
With xmonad I had binding " ("<XF86AudioLowerVolume>", lowerVolumeChannels ["Master"] 4 >> return ()" which uses under hood amixer to control volume.
Installing "alsa-utils" provides amixer and alsamixer command line tools. This allows to use multimedia keys to adjust/mute volume.
Current issue is that arch starts with volume muted and set to 0.
If you use different environment you can see in journalctl logs: "ACPI group/action undefined: button/volumeup / VOLUP"
When you google it you will find that you only need to add proper commands to file "/etc/acpi/handler.sh".

Touchpad:
I have installed "extra/xf86-input-libinput" which works out of box. Dual finger scrolling and left/right clicking works.
Sometimes a cursor will jump to corner of a screen. This is very annoying but I am unable to find what is actually causing this issue.
Similar issue but for synaptics driver is addressed here (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/To … ursor_jump) no solution unfortunatelly.
Maybe not worth switching to synaptics in that case.
Edit "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf" and add line below to enable natural scrolling:

Option "NaturalScrolling" "true"

Last edited by kpbochenek (2015-12-26 10:25:40)

#2 2015-12-22 13:28:20

simo8989

Re: Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-592G

Hi! I am glad to know that another one like me is trying to install linux on this amazing laptop vn7-592g, I bought it on early November and since that I am trying to properly install a linux distribution since I don't like windows 10.
I have tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, and at least Arch-linux, but the common problem I found apart from the wifi thing is that every with every linux distribution the laptop runs hotter and the battery lasts just 1,5 hours if compared to windows 10 (5 hours), with arch linux I found that the things are slightly better.
Just few things: do you use the intel graphics driver? or the nvidia one? personally I am booting the kernel exactly with the same parameters as you i915 support, and i have not installed any nvdia driver, I run Mate as desktop enviroment... but I found the laptop pretty slow and a bit unresponsive while using it, what desktop do you use? and what do you think about your battery life and heating? my goal is to make an arch linux install that is comparable with windows 10 about power efficiency and heating ( In windows I do my everyday work in the range of 36-41 C in linux in general I do de same tasks in the range of 45-50 C on average regarding the cpu cores ) so a big difference considering that in windows I almost never hear the fans moving, in linux the fans permanently work on low speed.
N.B: Sorry for my English, is not my first language.

Last edited by simo8989 (2015-12-22 13:29:31)

#3 2015-12-23 23:44:43

kpbochenek

Hi,
I have xmonad as my WindowManager. I also installed MATE to have some nicely looking common apps but I am not starting MATE unless I mess up Xmonad terribly tongue
I am using an intel driver(I am still learning how this works under linux with dual cards, tried bumblebee but I am not sure I configured it correctly).
My previous laptop was overheating a lot, this one is very nice regarding heat, I don't feel any warmth from keyboard but I will check numbers and let you know more concrete details.
The same with battery - I work most of my time on cable, I will do a test tomorrow and let you know.
For normal browsing fans are quiet, when I try to do more cpu needed tasks fans start moving. Did you configure fans in any way?

#4 2015-12-24 13:43:08

simo8989

Hi, I am using the intel driver too.. but is not clear for me if the system is actually using the integrated gpu or the discrete gpu.. I am not an expert, anyway my goal is to make an arch linux install which very power efficient and where I can run the everyday tasks under the 39 C... which is very difficult with linux in general.
At the moment in arch when I use the laptop for normal web browsing the temperatures tent to go to 50 C, in that moment the fans start to work and the temperatures goes down to 42.. then the fans stops and the temperatures rise up again.. so then the fans start working.. I experience this annoying situation in both ac or battery mode.
With my situation if I make a comparison I find windows 10 much better in temperatures and power efficiency and eve without a desktop environment arch runs hotter than windows 10! where I can use the laptop 8 hours per day working on light tasks and rarely hear the fans working.. for about 3-5 seconds each time.
What is your personal experience with Windows 10 in comparison with archlinux?

#5 2015-12-26 10:15:11

kpbochenek

I installed thermald and this is result:

→ sensors                                                                                                                                                                                                      
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +46.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +44.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +44.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:         +41.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:         +43.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +45.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C)
temp2:        +42.0°C  (crit = +92.0°C)

I don't think you can get below 40C. But try this library and fans should spin a lot less.

I haven't used windows 10 with this laptop that's why I can't compare battery/fans between windows and arch. But even Acer says this laptop should last on battery 4-5hrs.

#6 2015-12-27 15:24:34

simo8989

kpbochenek wrote:

I installed thermald and this is result:

→ sensors                                                                                                                                                                                                      
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +46.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +44.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +44.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:         +41.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:         +43.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +45.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C)
temp2:        +42.0°C  (crit = +92.0°C)

I don't think you can get below 40C. But try this library and fans should spin a lot less.

I haven't used windows 10 with this laptop that's why I can't compare battery/fans between windows and arch. But even Acer says this laptop should last on battery 4-5hrs.

I have not yet installed thermald because I recieve an error while using yaourt, and I have not yet experience building the packages from the AUR.
Even if the situation is better in your case using thermald is pretty far from the efficiency of windows 10 where I have this temperatures while surfing in internet with several firefox tabs opened:
http://s4.postimg.org/kdiuvajtp/temp.jpg

Last edited by simo8989 (2015-12-27 15:28:10)

#7 2016-01-07 21:54:05

yubo56

Bumping this looking for help.

Been trying to get Arch working for a while on this exact laptop, and what works is awesome, just have a few more issues:

Close lid - Set lid close to suspend (via /etc/systemd/logind.conf), but not only does it fail to suspend on close lid, if I suspend then close lid it wakes up! Anybody have a solution for this? Tried to put "nvidia" in mkinitcpio hooks but mkinitcpio complained no nvidia found (I use nouveau). And when putting nouveau instead, doesn't solve the problem.
Touchpad - After some fiddling with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf and kernel boot parameter i8042.nopnp=1, my touchpad is now recognized by Arch in xinput and by synclient. However, the touchpad still doesn't move =/

Anybody reproduce these issues?

#8 2016-01-08 19:48:40

yubo56

Okay, both issues were just bios options. In case anybody is looking for them, the BIOS options marked "Touchpad Mode [Basic/Advanced]' or something should be set to "Basic", and "Wake on open screen" should be set to off

#9 2016-01-14 14:47:33

KejPi

Hi guys,
Would you recommend to buy this laptop for Linux? Were you able to fix all the issues? Is it worth to try?

Thanks!

#10 2016-01-16 00:04:35

kpbochenek

Hi KejPi,

it depends how much do you like to play around with configuration and stuff and are you fine that sometimes things just break?
i.e. I still haven't managed to work out usb-c port.
Today my wi-fi broke and I had to do: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173808 (obviously without internet connection it is hard to figure out...)
Wi-fi signal is bad but this is related to small antena and not related to arch itself.

But I think if you look for a top specs and cheap laptop you couldn't choose better.
Laptop is super cheap, it has skylake, 16GB DDR 2133hz, 236GB ssd m.2, usb-c !!, amazingly thin and light.
After a month of use it works well for me with arch linux but it required a lot of fight smile
But all issues are related to hardware that is totally new and not yet well supported - you will find these problems in any latest laptop model.

#11 2016-01-16 14:39:17

simo8989

Hi kpbochenek!
Have you noted that with the kernel 4.3.3 in the new arch isoimage the things have changed radically talking about temperatures? this is a great new for me.. I can run archlinux in powersave mode under 40 C.
Anyway I am writing you also to ask you a favour: I am having problems to install and confugure the Nvidia drivers, and now I have a fresh archlinux install in which I want to install the official Nvidia drivers, could you be so kind to write here the passages and the commmands you run to correctly install the drivers?
Thank you in advance.
Simone

#12 2016-01-20 16:46:05

cvikli

Hey
My acer 592g, on Ubuntu 14.04. The nVidia GPU is working well. After installing the operating system while you are downloading packages during the install, and on the first boot you can just set nvidia 352.63 it at the "System Updater"->"Addtitional Drivers" tab.
Idk, if this helps for you guys for archlinux.
So without killing Xorg and so, it can be done in 15 mins. // one more thing, if I didn't allow downloading packages, and try to set up manually, then I have many complication, and took a day without any result for development.

Btw, ty for the tips described here.

#13 2016-02-22 07:59:11

denvit

Having the same problems here,

currently I'm running Arch with the 4.5.0-rc4-mainline. The Intel / Nvidia drivers are a nightmare.
I managed to install everything but had (and still have) little problems with the wifi drivers: a solution is available here even tough it doesn't fix it 100%.

Anyway, my main concerns are the optimus integration (I think my nvidia card is still off), the screen tearing (it may be caused by Intel drivers, compton doesn't fix it completely) and the battery consumption.
If anyone have manged to solve one of these issues I'll be really, really grateful.

#14 2016-03-05 13:31:32

denvit

Up

#15 2016-03-09 22:19:34

kpbochenek

It is just as you said, unfortunately not much can be done with this right now.

Screen tearing is probably related to skylake / 4.5 kernel? I also saw that on my friends laptop running Arch on skylake(not acer).

Wi-fi uh ... all reviews say wi-fi is terrible on Acer due to small and badly placed anthena.
I expected to carry my laptop with me many times but use it rather in a place I am close to wifi endpoint or using ethernet cable.
You found proper drivers, weirdly enough only that specific version works, tried to upgrade multiple times and that only broken my connection.
It is fine when you are in a room with a router and don't try to download whole internet smile

Nvidia works perfectly fine for me.
optirun glxspheres64                                                                                                                                                                                                 »130« !5626
Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
Visual ID of window: 0x20
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
299.245011 frames/sec - 301.870587 Mpixels/sec

glxspheres64                                                                                                                                                                                                         »130« !5627
Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
Visual ID of window: 0x95
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
60.724854 frames/sec - 61.257654 Mpixels/sec

About battery consumption you know it should survive 3-4hrs right?
Because battery management isn't perfect on linux you should expect 2-3hrs.
If your laptop can't work for 2 hrs on battery describe what you use for power management and we can work on that.

#16 2016-03-20 13:10:58

cvikli

Can someone explain a little bit more, how did he solve, suspend > lid close > resume > suspend... circle?

And what tutorial did you use to get dedicated GPU work on arch?

#17 2016-03-23 15:48:36

cvikli

Okay, I see, for dedicated GPU, the bumblebee nvidia optimus support installation guide works just fine.

I also had a problem with the guide here, about the touchpad install and the lid close, I didn't see that yubo56 said the Bios touchpad setting have to be set to BASIC. Now both works perfectly!

That bios feature looks pretty buggy.
Thank you for the posts here guys!

#18 2016-04-20 12:07:33

la7low

kpbochenek wrote:

sudo wget -O /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … n?raw=true
sudo wget -O /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … 1?raw=true

Check `dmesg` output to verify you have the same version and driver doesn't report any errors.
I.e. for me it worked fine but was throwing errors that firmware-5.bin should be used but cannot be found.
I just renamed firmware-4.bin -> firmware-5.bin and there is no more errors(except specific board-pci-XXX.bin error -2 but it works)
Version I mentioned is just a fork of (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware). Default version didn't work for me but it might work for you.

Hello,

after I have done the above the wifi worked for me so far, but after updating to kernel 4.5 it stopped working. Is there anything to be done? The firmware files are still there in hw3.0 dir, I haven't checked journalctl or dmesg just asking if anyone had the same problem and what is have to be done to make the wifi card work again with the new 4.5 kernel.

The microphone doesn't work for me either, although it didn't work with kernel 4.4 either. Has anyone made it working?

Thanks!

#19 2016-04-20 16:21:23

cooking4mama

la7low wrote:
kpbochenek wrote:

Hello,

after I have done the above the wifi worked for me so far, but after updating to kernel 4.5 it stopped working. Is there anything to be done? The firmware files are still there in hw3.0 dir, I haven't checked journalctl or dmesg just asking if anyone had the same problem and what is have to be done to make the wifi card work again with the new 4.5 kernel.

The microphone doesn't work for me either, although it didn't work with kernel 4.4 either. Has anyone made it working?

Thanks!

Same here. Although it seems to 'work' in the sense that it will detect other networks but it just won't connect to any of them and on login I get a bunch of errors about the firmware crashing, otherwise dmesg is just a long list of 'failed to start hw scan' for ath10k_pci. Oddly enough it worked fine on 4.5 but the upgrade to 4.5.1 is what killed it for me but rolling back to 4.5 didn't work either.

#20 2016-04-21 19:18:32

la7low

The relevant output from 'journalctl -xb':

Apr 20 20:37:23 lacopc kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:07:00.0.bin failed with error -2
Apr 20 20:37:23 lacopc kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000 chip_id 0x00340aff sub 11ad:0807
Apr 20 20:37:23 lacopc kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: kconfig debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 0 dfs 0 testmode 0
Apr 20 20:37:23 lacopc kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: firmware ver WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 api 5 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad crc32 75dee6c5

However I redid the instructions from the first post (which I quoted in my prev post) and then it worked again I only get this during boot:

Apr 21 21:11:50 lacopc kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: pci irq msi-x interrupts 8 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0

But wireless works again.
I have no clue why the firmware (that got installed by kernel 4.5 or 4.5.1) did not work but the one from FireWalkerX's github page works.

#21 2016-04-21 19:19:29

la7low

So anyone got the mic of this laptop working ?

#22 2016-04-28 10:37:57

cvikli

Same here, mic work only on windows.

#23 2017-02-24 19:13:33

danarchy85

I run Gentoo and compile my own kernels, but I may be able to help with how to get Bluetooth working. Bluetooth on VN7-592G laptops is tied directly to the Ath9k WiFi module and needs a few extra options enabled within the kernel.

Assuming you have kernel source already downloaded, within your kernel config: `cd /usr/src/linux ; make menuconfig`, you will want to select the following options:

--- Kernel Config ---
[*] Networking support  --->

--- Networking support
  <*>   Bluetooth subsystem support  --->

--- Bluetooth subsystem support
    [*]   Bluetooth Classic (BR/EDR) features
    <M>     RFCOMM protocol support
    [*]       RFCOMM TTY support
    <M>     BNEP protocol support
    [*]       Multicast filter support
    [*]       Protocol filter support
    <M>     HIDP protocol support
    [*]     Bluetooth High Speed (HS) features
    [*]   Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) features

Device Drivers  --->
  [*] Network device support  --->
    [*]   Wireless LAN  --->

--- Wireless LAN
      [*]   Atheros/Qualcomm devices
      [*]     Atheros bluetooth coexistence support
      < >     Atheros 802.11n wireless cards support
      <M>     Atheros HTC based wireless cards support
      <M>     Atheros 802.11ac wireless cards support
      <M>       Atheros ath10k PCI support

--- End Kernel Config ---

Compile the kernel with those options enabled and install the kernel into /boot (along with any other kernel compiling steps Arch may require) and reboot.

Next you'll need to install 'bluez' and then start the daemon up. On Gentoo, it's:

sudo emerge net-wireless/bluez
sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start

And to run that on bootup, I would do:

sudo rc-update add bluetooth default

If Arch runs SystemD, it might be something like:

sudo systemctl enable bluetooth.service
sudo systemctl start bluetooth.service

If you're running a window manager like KDE or Gnome, there are desktop widgets you can install to manage your bluetooth devices. For Gentoo and KDE, it's:

kde-frameworks/bluez-qt
kde-plasma/bluedevil

I also compile 'bluetooth' support into NetworkManager, which will allow NM to handle bluetooth and remember them for future use.

Hope this helps out as it's enabled me to have Bluetooth running and allow me to tether my internet connection through my phone.

Last edited by danarchy85 (2017-02-24 19:17:19)

Board footer