You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-01 17:25:46

sayonalion

GNOME 3 battery indicator displays incorrect states and values

Hi.

The GNOME 3 battery indicator displays states and values which isn't correlated with the real ones.

When the battery is fully charged, the indicator displays the “Charging” icon and it sticks at arbitrary percentage value of charge (usually at 90—99%).

When the power cable is unplugged, the icon is changed to “Fully charged” and the percentage value of charge is set to 100%, regardless what it was before. The value isn't decreased over time.

When the power cable is plugged after being unplugged, the icon is changed to “Discharging”, ignoring the fact that the power goes from the network and the battery is actually charging.

In some cases after plugging or unplugging the cable, the battery indicator doesn't react anyhow and doesn't change its state.

I'm sure the issue has nothing to do with my hardware, it's in good condition.

Do you have the similar problem? How can I tackle it?

Thanks.

#2 2017-03-01 17:45:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: GNOME 3 battery indicator displays incorrect states and values

Check that the values that Gnome is showing correspond to those in /sys/.

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-03-01 19:18:54

Azured

Which Laptop is it? Did you check the wiki, a lot of laptops have dedicated articles describing configuration that is necesary for that particular model:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop

Note, even if a laptop doesn't have a specific article, that doesn't mean there isn't some configuration necessary; it may just indicate that no one has tried running arch on that model.

#4 2017-03-01 22:28:28

sayonalion

Here's some facts I discovered in regard to this issue:

- The system displays the following message at boot: “ACPI: watchdog: Failed to create platform device”;

- The `acpi -i` command displays correct information about the battery state, charge and estimating charging/discharging time. It reacts to plugging/unplugging the power cord right away;

- When charging, after the battery was discharged (no matter how much), the charging process is stopped at 96—99% and the `acpi -i` command outputs “charging at zero rate - will never fully charge”;

- The GNOME battery indicator displays correct information about the battery state, charge and estimating charging/discharging time. It reacts to plugging/unplugging the power cord after exactly two minutes. It displays stale information during this time. Plugging/unplugging the power cord in this period forces the battery indicator to immediately update displaying data.

What does the “charging at zero rate - will never fully charge” message mean?

How much time does it take for the GNOME battery indicator to update the displaying data about battery state, charge percentage and estimating charging/discharging time at your laptop after you plug/unplug the power cord? Does it update the data right away or it takes some time?

Last edited by sayonalion (2017-03-02 00:58:32)

#5 2022-01-26 20:45:18

nekys

I am dealing with the same exact issues and discovered results. Any news about solving this?
*EDIT
the battery state changes immediately when typing "sudo service upower restart"

Last edited by nekys (2022-01-27 19:50:11)

#6 2022-06-22 12:40:19

kaangiray26

I was facing the same problem, the indicator in the gnome bar was showing incorrect percentages that were not same with "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/capacity". Then I've checked "sudo systemctl status upower" and saw that the service was not enabled.

TLDR: My problem was solved by typing "sudo systemctl enable upower"

Board footer