You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-04 14:32:33

nerdnils

Frontend in tty does not work, from kde it works

Hi there,
i am running an arcade-frontend on my archlinux. No matter which one I use(tried attract-mode and wahcade), I am getting the same two bugs:
- The first time I start sdlmame(after each boot!) out of it, sdlmame doesn't recognize any input, it has to be killed from another tty, it only recognizes the input the second time it is started. Really no input gets through to it.
- After any game/emulator the control is not given back to the frontend when running it directly in X. i have to kill attract-modde/wahcade from another tty to be able to control it again. The only exception to this is snes9x-gtk. I don't know what it does what no other emulator or script does but after a games in snes9x-gtk I can control the frontend. After any other I can't.

When I run wahcade/attract-mode from kde, everything works fine and those two bugs don't occur! So I think the problem has to be somewhere in tty1 or somewhere in my bootingscript?

The .xinitrc I am using to start the frontend directly in a tty:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
    for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?*.sh ; do
        [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
    done
    unset f
fi

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

xrdb -merge $sysresources

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

xrdb -merge "$userresources"

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr&
numlockx &
setxkbmap de nodeadkeys
xset -dpms
xset s off

exec attract

The user his this .bashrc to start X on tty1:

#
# ~/.bashrc
#

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
[[ $- != *i* ]] && return

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
PS1='[\u@\h \W]\$ '

I have a /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf to start it directly when booting:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/usr/bin/agetty --autologin cab --noclear %I 38400 linux

So can anybody tell me how to get rid of those two bugs or where to look for more information?

Greetings

Or could it be a right problem? KDE is run as another user. But when I start wahcade or attract-mode from kde, I start it as the same user as from the tty, only kde is another user.

Last edited by nerdnils (2017-03-04 15:13:08)

#2 2017-03-04 15:24:44

seth

Re: Frontend in tty does not work, from kde it works

For a beginning, don't fork xsetroot nor numlockx, then randomly sleep after the sexkbmap call (try like 5 seconds to be sure) and see whether that makes any difference.
You might have trouble if the client doesn't take focus itself or checks the _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW root property (any java involved?) - xdotool may bail you out, but in wort case, a minimal WM (openbox) will be required.

Board footer