You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-04 10:52:39

brianb
Website

[SOLVED] checkupdate hangs

For some reason, xmobar freezes after exactly one hour. For example, if I run "pkill xmobar && xmonad --restart" at 11:28:33, then it runs totally fine until 12:28:33, at which point it freezes, and I have to run that command again. (By "freeze", I mean it stops updating, and when I toggle visibility, it goes away, but the top part of the workspace gets doubled, instead of the workspace expanding, and when I toggle again, nothing happens.)

Has anyone experienced this? Any clue what could be causing it? Are there any particular logs I can check (or create)?

My xmonad config is here, and my xmobar config is here.

Last edited by brianb (2017-03-05 20:52:54)

#2 2017-03-04 18:02:09

brianb
Website

Re: [SOLVED] checkupdate hangs

Well, I feel stupid: my xmobar config runs a user script every 60 minutes called "update-notify.sh", which itself runs "checkupdates" (for official updates) and "cower -u" (for AUR updates):

#!/bin/bash

official_updates=$(checkupdates | wc -l)
aur_updates=$(cower -u | wc -l)
echo "Updates: ${official_updates} (${aur_updates})"

This has previously worked just fine. However, I now know that it's the culprit: when I change "3600" to "10" (run every second), xmobar freezes immediately after restarting.

Digging further, I discovered that when I run "checkupdates" all by itself, it hangs (i.e. it never returns anything), which appears to be the underlying problem. So...

New question: Why would "checkupdates" hang? I've tried removing "$CHECKUPDATES_DB" ("/tmp/checkup-db-brian"), and that didn't help.

#3 2017-03-04 18:25:03

brianb
Website

(Sorry for the update spam...)

Update: Running "sudo checkupdates" works, so I appear to have the same problem as described in checkupdates requires sudo permissions, for which there wasn't any proposed solution.

For now, I'll add "checkupdates" to the list of programs that I can execute without a root password, and change "checkupdates" to "sudo checkupdates" in my script.

#4 2017-03-05 20:51:54

brianb
Website

#5 2017-03-05 21:15:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks for posting additional information and the solution. In the future, edit your last post to append information when there are no further replies in the thread. Please take a few minutes to read our forum policy (link in my sig).

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer