You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-07 00:26:37

newsboost

Cannot boot archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso - laptop graphics card ?

Hardware (Acer Aspire E5-575G laptop) (Full specs: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2016/48 … D.049.html):

Processor Type Core™ i7
Processor Model i7-7500U (Kaby Lake)
Standard Memory 8 GB
SSD-drive 256 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 950M

I cannot boot the latest Arch live ISO (archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso) from my new laptop. However, I found out that I could easily boot an older Linux Mint ISO. I've disabled "secure boot" in BIOS and after pressing F12 + selecting to boot from USB I arrive at a menu with 5 items, from top to bottom:

1) Arch Linux archiso x84_64 UEFI CD
2) UEFI Shell x86_64 v1
3) UEFI Shell x86_64 v2
4) EFI Default Loader
5) Reboot Into Firmware Interface

Now I feel I'm exactly at the same place as this guy: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=208621 - I choose the first option, but I only see a black, blank screen. No cursor movement. I press the keys, nothing happens. Nothing seems to happen, the laptop is stuck and I can't change any config-files or do anything except reboot. I think the graphics card(s) are the problem, because as I understand it, i7-7550U has an integrated GPU and then there's also the NVIDIA GTX 950M on this laptop. So I think this screws things up. I tried to press "e" and added "nomodeset" to the end of the long line that appears for option 1, the first entry:

initrd=\EFI\archiso\intel_ucode.img initrd=\EFI\archiso\archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201602

I tried a lot of things - removing the first initrd-block, also appending some other stuff like "nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0". It's very strange that I can boot with an old Linux mint USB but not with a new Arch Linux USB-drive, as I thought much of the hardware compatibility stuff is put into the linux kernel and then a new kernel (Arch) should be better than an old (Mint). I'm willing to do anything you might suggest - I've spend around 4-5 hours now and cannot see what I'm doing wrong. Please advice, thanks!

#2 2017-03-07 00:48:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Cannot boot archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso - laptop graphics card ?

I can't open the spec sheet, but if you do have a hybrid graphics machine, those are not the parameters: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … odesetting

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-03-07 02:33:08

loqs

If this does not work

initrd=\EFI\archiso\intel_ucode.img initrd=\EFI\archiso\archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201602 nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0

Try

initrd=\EFI\archiso\intel_ucode.img initrd=\EFI\archiso\archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201602 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau,i915

#4 2017-03-07 13:07:35

newsboost

loqs wrote:

If this does not work

initrd=\EFI\archiso\intel_ucode.img initrd=\EFI\archiso\archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201602 nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0

Try

initrd=\EFI\archiso\intel_ucode.img initrd=\EFI\archiso\archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201602 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau,i915

Hi loqs,

I appreciate your help... Sorry, I was away for some time and I just found out that if I boot from the archlinux-2016.07.01-dual.iso (last year) then I can boot up correctly and begin on the installation procedure. However, now it seems I have a problem with installing the grub boot loader (I'm also not making it particularly easy as I want to install dualboot with Windows and I've created a separate /boot partition and then I've created and LVM-partition which I want to use for LUKS-encrypted root and a little bit of swap space). When I run these commands:

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig --output /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The first line exits, appararently with no error messages. The second command results in some mdadm error/warning and I think I saw something with "squashfs: SQUASHFS error: Can't find a SQUASHFS superblock on" + maybe it cannot find the Windows-partition + maybe some other error (I don't have the pc in front me right now, but wanted to post my reply now). I don't have the full error message here, I could maybe post a new topic later as I'm rather busy this week. But my (original) main problem has been solved, just by taking an older iso and booting from that (weird, I thought the newest version should normally be the best). I'm now trying to install grub and I think also maybe it's something to do with me incorrectly mounting /boot/efi, before arch-chroot'ing. I've only installed grub with UEFI one time before. Maybe it's best to start a new topic if I cannot make it work, after some days... Unless anyone has good ideas :-)

I'm still wondering - after I've installed grub - I'm willing to make the experiment and erase the usb I'm not booting from (2016 arch) and again install the 2017-arch and try adding "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau,i915" to the end as suggested (just for the record)... Thanks, loqs!

Board footer