You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-13 17:40:16

xsskinz

Arch is freezing, tried to fix....now startx broken

Hi,

First time poster, 1 year Arch user.

So 2 days I booted into my Arch OS and it froze at login screen, hard reset and freezes again. After failed attempts, logged into Gnome default (Use Cinnamon) and it worked without issue until I rebooted and freezes again. CTRL + ALT + F2 into terminal and I tried to fix this issue.

• Config checks

• Reinstalled ATI Driver (xf86-video-ati)

• Reinstalled Xorg

• Downgraded Kernel

I now have no internet on terminal and it won't boot to the GUI at all. Two drives on the Desktop. Win 10 and Arch Linux. I'm currently on Win 10 now and it has now issues with freezes.

Here is the error I was getting on the terminal screen that I tried to resolve.

[   ] [drm:uvd_v1_0_start] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
[   ] [drm:uvd_v1_0_start] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!

I was getting the error above the first time the freezing started.
Any help on this error/problem, much appreciated.

#2 2017-03-13 17:57:04

onslow77

Re: Arch is freezing, tried to fix....now startx broken

Hello!

Did you tried any of the suggested soulutions that was given from a search with "ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU" on DuckDuckGo/Google?

Regards
Martin

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2017-03-13 18:33:01

xsskinz

onslow77 wrote:

Hello!

Did you tried any of the suggested soulutions that was given from a search with "ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU" on DuckDuckGo/Google?

Regards
Martin

Yup, tried most. Started fresh Arch install again and was still getting the error, was thinking maybe bug.

#4 2017-03-13 21:41:52

seth

a) did you rewind the "I downgraded the kernel and now everything's fubar" issue and are back to the original issue?
b) this *can* be a kernel/driver issue (you could uninstall xf86-video-ati to use the generic modesetting driver for a basic test), but "I'm currently on Win 10 now and it has now issues with freezes." smells like a hardware issue. You should watch the temperature values and - if possible - inspect the hardware (badly seated, loose cables, blown capacitors, ...)

#5 2017-03-13 22:36:41

xsskinz

seth wrote:

a) did you rewind the "I downgraded the kernel and now everything's fubar" issue and are back to the original issue?
b) this *can* be a kernel/driver issue (you could uninstall xf86-video-ati to use the generic modesetting driver for a basic test), but "I'm currently on Win 10 now and it has now issues with freezes." smells like a hardware issue. You should watch the temperature values and - if possible - inspect the hardware (badly seated, loose cables, blown capacitors, ...)

I wouldn't say it's fubar, have it upgraded again just need a few hours free before I put a hammer to it again. I'll uninstall xf85 and see if anything changes, just odd that it's now giving me trouble.

Sorry meant to say Win 10 works perfect with NO freezing issues, so I've ruled out hardware issue, I hope.

Last edited by xsskinz (2017-03-13 22:37:09)

#6 2017-03-23 22:43:05

xsskinz

UPDATE: graphics card was corrupt got a new motherboard and successfully transferred my Arch install to the new machine smile

Board footer