You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-10 01:14:17

darthpenguin

Full battery "Estimating..." on Gnome Shell.

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me out with this. I'm Running Arch with the latest linux-lts kernel. I'm running it in a ThinkPad E560. I'm using Gnome as my primary DE.

When the battery is fully charged and I leave the computer connected to the AC adapter the system menu just says "Estimating..." beside the battery icon. When I unplug the AC adapter it then shows an ETA until the battery is drained.

My question is: Why does it continue to say "Estimating..." when fully charged instead of something like "Full" or "Charged". Is this a glitch just on my system or is this a known bug in Gnome. Is anyone out there running GNOME on a laptop and having this issue? Is it supposed to say "Charged"?

It's a small thing to get stuck on but I'm just curious.

Thanks.

#2 2017-03-11 13:33:50

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Full battery "Estimating..." on Gnome Shell.

If you look into /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent you will see that when the machine is plugged to the ac adapter and the battery is not charging the state will be discharging, which is technically correct. The battery will charge to 100% and then it will not be charged again unless it drops below 95%, of course this assumes you have not changed the charge/discharge thresholds.

Complain to the gnome guys, they should take this behavior into account as I suppose this is a very common behavior in laptops.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-03-14 05:16:14

darthpenguin

Re: Full battery "Estimating..." on Gnome Shell.

I guess what I'm asking is has the GNOME project already addressed this? Is GNOME *supposed* to indicate that the battery is fully charged and mine is just not working or is this a known issue? I also notice that the battery indicator icon in the top bar will not switch from the battery icon to the battery icon with the lightning bolt.

Either way it is a good idea to adjust the threshold of the battery but I'm not sure how to do that. tp_smapi and acpi_call do not support my Thinkpad and when I install acpi the system won't hibernate on lid close so I just uninstall acpi and let systemd handle suspending the system.

Board footer