You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-18 00:35:52

bloodyhell

Looking for a specific kind of tiling WM

I'm looking for a tiling WM that has some certain features that I desire. It's ok if it doesn't support all of the features but should be able to do at least 50% of the list below.

Desired features:
1. Grid based or at least an option for grid tiling, and individual tiles should be resizable.
2. Grid should be completely configurable, so that there are X numbers of slots, and this program window of that name/class/type opens in slot y at this height and width. It also should be privilege agnostic (no master/slave scenario) 
3. Define a space for applets (e. g. dockapps or something like xclock and xload)
4. Completely keyboard driven.
5, Ability to define which program is tiled or floats, which desktop layer it is displayed and whether or not it should be ignore mouse/keyboard operations.
6. Should come with bar and configurable launcher (something like Kailauncher).
7. Should be EWMH compliant and support composition with transparency.
8. Xinerama support.
9. Should be as small and resource efficient as possible.
10. Configuration should be clear and simple, and shouldn't require one to learn a programming language.

Any suggestions? Or, if such a tiler hasn't been written yet then consider it a bunch of feature requests for anyone working on, or maintaining a tiler. I would write my own if I knew how to program, but sadly I don't possess such skill sad

I'm currently using Dminiwm and I'm liking it very much though I wished some of the aforementioned features were implemented.

Last edited by bloodyhell (2017-03-18 01:30:01)

#2 2017-03-18 00:55:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Looking for a specific kind of tiling WM

I think Xmonad is your best option to fit those criteria.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-03-18 01:21:09

bloodyhell

Isn't that the one that requires one to learn Haskell? I'm trying to avoid having to learn a programming language. I just don't have the time and patience.

#4 2017-03-18 02:35:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Well, how do you expect to configure your WM? For any degree of sophistication (ie., a subset of your criteria), they all require configuration in their language, whether it is Haskell, C, Lua, whatever.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2017-03-18 02:46:56

Mortimer Houghton

bloodyhell wrote:

Isn't that the one that requires one to learn Haskell? I'm trying to avoid having to learn a programming language. I just don't have the time and patience.

Not really, you just have to learn enough to edit the variables.  That doesn't really require much knowledge about a programming language other than knowing how to find the variable and what the acceptable parameters are for it.  You would need to do this for any config file.

#6 2017-03-18 03:44:14

bloodyhell

Jason - don't get me wrong, I have configured window managers before. Window managers such as (V)twm, Windowmaker, Spectrwm. But their config files are generally clearly laid out in a simple, non language specific kind of way (variable=parameter), with the exception of WindowMaker, which I configured with it's GUI config application (Same for KDE, Gnome, etc.), so I can't say much about it's config file(s). Honestly, I wouldn't mind configuring a WM in C, Python, Haskell, etc. but the syntax can be a bit complex and daunting, at least to me. I guess I'm just spoiled by plain x=y configs.

Mortimer - I suppose I could give it a shot, but again, reading many of the reviews, I'm under the impression that I'd have to do a course in Haskell. I'll have a look at it anyways though. If it does what I want without getting too complicated then it shall be my WM. I'm still open for other suggestions though.

Last edited by bloodyhell (2017-03-18 06:13:02)

Board footer