You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-12 04:16:03

zee220

code 43 error stops gtx 1070 in windows 10 vm (qemu)

Hello! I've recently installed arch on my desktop and it's all been going fine and dandy for the most part. My issue is that I have a hard drive that already had windows 10 installed on it and I'd like to keep it around for programs that only work on windows (games, some productivity programs etc). So I went out and I followed the arch wiki and the vm works, kind of, it's fine for the most part but I got the issue of getting error code 43 from windows which stops my gpu from working. I did some digging around and found that this is related to Nvidia purposefully doing this when it detects the gpu is being run in a vm, why I don't know but it's been stopping from running quite a couple programs, hell, even the deskstop sometimes lags behind. So far from what I found using kvm=off is supposed to fix this issue but it doesn't seem to do anything in this case. I cam across a couple more solutions that envolved editting a xml-like file but I believe those are files that are generated by programs such as virt-manager which wouldn't help me since I'm running this from the command line (virt-manager doesn't work for some reason...). This is the command im running to launch the vm:

qemu-system-x86_64 /dev/sdb -cpu host,kvm=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 -enable-kvm -machine type=pc,accel=kvm,iommu=on -m 8G -rtc clock=host,base=utc -soundhw hda -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1

#2 2017-03-17 21:24:08

paulkerry

Re: code 43 error stops gtx 1070 in windows 10 vm (qemu)

Why not dual boot ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows ) instead of using a VM?

#3 2017-03-18 04:55:18

Dirmork

Re: code 43 error stops gtx 1070 in windows 10 vm (qemu)

paulkerry, it is not comfortable.
For examble, I using Linux as main system and full-offline Windows for Windows-only software (Solidworks, CorelDRAW, Adobe CC, games) at the same time.
I do not want to turn-off Linux while working with these programs.
Wine, unfortunately, is not suitable for recent Solidwoks and Corel, and there are no analogues from the professional point of view on Linux sad

The most convenient solution is to use Windows as a host system for Solidworks and virtualize Linux for all other software, but this is "not our way" smile I would like Linux as the host system.

Last edited by Dirmork (2017-03-18 05:12:30)

Board footer