You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-18 19:27:23

veecue

Auto-syncing SSD+HDD for /usr

Hello everybody,

I want to mount my /usr directory on an SSD. However, I'd like to have a full-functioning system on HDD aswell. My Idea would be to let pacman Update to the mounted /usr on the SSD and then syncing the data to the underlaying directory (via bind-mount) with rsync. I don't really know how to implement this solution and also there could be a better one. Please help me out smile

#2 2017-03-18 20:56:31

olegabrielz

Re: Auto-syncing SSD+HDD for /usr

Hi there and welcome to the forums veecue

Maybe drbd-utils can do this. I have never done what you are trying to accomplish. But after a quick google search drbd stood out and caught my attention. The arch wiki does not contain any information about the tool, but they have their own homepage with documentation:
http://docs.linbit.com/

Maybe someone else here can give you a more precise answer to your question. Good luck smile

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#3 2017-03-18 21:20:48

frostschutz

Re: Auto-syncing SSD+HDD for /usr

You could do a mdadm RAID 1 with SSD + HDD and the HDD as write-mostly. This would keep both in sync in real time. Would give you SSD read speeds, HDD write speeds...

You shouldn't do separate /usr partitions anymore. / /usr and /home should all be on SSD unless perhaps if it's smaller than 64G...

Board footer