You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-19 03:07:08

Texbrew

[Solved] Trilby - Possibly an Under-appreciated Moderator.

Trilby's posts are sometimes terse. Trilby can sometimes seem impatient with those among us who post our troubles without taking time to think things through, or fail to provide adequate information relating our trouble.

Today, in about 12 minutes from my OP to Trilbys' post, Trilby provided the answer I needed (I screwed up my OpenBox menu).

Kudos to Trilby, one of many very knowledgeable Arch volunteers.

#2 2017-03-19 03:44:37

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: [Solved] Trilby - Possibly an Under-appreciated Moderator.

I whole-heartedly agree.

https://pic.53280.de/factoids/beer.jpg

smile

Last edited by Alad (2017-03-19 03:45:03)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2017-03-19 04:09:53

Texbrew

@Alad, I love the beer photo. I don't drink it from a bucket, but some days I feel I could. Sending the photo to my son, who is also a beer connoisseur and homebrewer. And yes, I had to look up the proper spelling of "connoisseur".

Cheers!

#4 2017-03-19 08:36:36

x33a
Forum Fellow

Moving the thread to "Arch Discussion".

#5 2017-03-19 09:50:35

olegabrielz

Most of the time I actually enjoy Trilby's way of handling things inside the forums. I don't see him as harsh. It's more like with a good father: He's consequently and strict, but also kind, helpful and fair. Anyway, even if I don't know the guy, that's my impression of him.

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#6 2017-03-19 11:08:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Beer from a bucket?!  No thanks, I'll have a trough.

Thanks though.  But also note that forum participation is one of the most transparent and also less proactive ways to contribute to arch.  I may answer a question or two when they are posed, but how often do you go to the wiki to set up some new tool and you get all of your answers before you even think to ask the questions.  How often do you look at the revision history of the wiki to see who provided that information to thank them?

Also, how often do packages just work without having to futz with them because of the work of arch devs, bug tracker participants, etc?

I appreciate the grattitude, but really just marking threads as SOLVED is a nice indicator that the input was useful (this is why abandoning threads and/or not following up is so frowned upon here).  Remember not to take for granted the devs and wiki authors who do all the work to keep things running smoothly without even getting the feedback of a 'SOLVED' marker.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2017-03-19 12:43:23

olegabrielz

Trilby wrote:

..., but how often do you go to the wiki to set up some new tool and you get all of your answers before you even think to ask the questions. ...

I haven't asked much for help in these forums exactly because of that. If the wiki doesn't give me some clues to resolve an issue, the subject would most likely be covered both up, down, left and right in the forums. And almost everything works as is stright out of the repository box. It is actually quite impressive when I think about it. Respect to all of you who have contributed into making Arch what it is. And I can't say this enough: You moderators are doing a fantastic job!!

Last edited by olegabrielz (2017-03-19 12:44:30)

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#8 2017-03-19 20:02:44

Texbrew

olegabrielz wrote:

Most of the time I actually enjoy Trilby's way of handling things inside the forums. I don't see him as harsh.

I absolutely agree on all counts. Knowing Trilby and the other mods are watching causes me to do my best to figure out why something doesn't work or stopped working. In other words, it prevents laziness on my part. Fear of violating forum standards is a strong motivator. There isn't much hand-holding or patting on the head here, as one might see in other forums and that's really a good thing.

My OP in this thread was perhaps unneccessary, but I felt a need to say, "Thank you".

Trilby wrote:

...but how often do you go to the wiki to set up some new tool and you get all of your answers before you even think to ask the questions. How often do you look at the revision history of the wiki to see who provided that information to thank them?

I must admit I have never directly thanked a dev or wiki contributor, although I have wondered how to do so. The forum and PM's to members are the only means I have used to express gratitude. Your point is well received.

#9 2017-03-20 16:00:44

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I must admit I have never directly thanked a dev or wiki contributor, although I have wondered how to do so. The forum and PM's to members are the only means I have used to express gratitude. Your point is well received.

Simple - you contribute to the wiki or the distribution. Edit an article of your interest, file a bug or help solve one, etc. wink

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#10 2017-03-20 20:51:09

c00ter

Trilby is a gentleman as demonstrated by his eschewing a fedora. He has earned my utter respect.

He's also a pretty damn fair moderator.

With Respects.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#11 2017-03-20 21:27:08

Texbrew

@Alad, I would love to contribute to those things. Unfortunately, they are all above my skill level. I will be looking for ways in which I might edit an article or something.

c00ter wrote:

He has earned my utter respect. He has earned my utter respect.

I couldn't agree more. My original comments in this thread were in no way intended as criticism. Quite the opposite - praise.

#12 2017-04-04 05:36:26

adamlau

I have not had much direct interaction with Trilby, but from passing through the forums over the years, I can certainly say that I do appreciate his style of moderate forum moderation. This is coming from a former moderator of a major warez forum which shall not be named. Keep up the good work, Trilby. This goes for Alad as well wink

Last edited by adamlau (2017-04-04 05:41:02)

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

Board footer