You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-16 16:26:27

CPUnltd
Website

Asus G50VT (GTX 260M) Nouveau missing screen resolution options.

I have been having very odd screen freezing issues with the standard NVidia driver on my G50VT (using Geforce GTX 260M GPU) so I decided to switch back to the nouveau driver. I've been searching the forums and google for a while trying to figure out how to add more resolution options. When using nouveau, the ONLY option I have is 640x480. I have modified the xorg.conf file, added a 20-*nouveau* file, and tried KMS. I am, literally, still stuck at ground zero with only the 640 resolution. Xrandr says I can go as low as 320 (yay), but that's the only place I can see more than the 640 resolution. I plan to post logs, but I need to know which logs to post and what the current accepted method is of posting logs. I used to use pastebin, but the last time I posted and used pastebin I was basically scolded and told that no one uses that anymore. So, I'd like to adhere to whatever the current standards are for making a proper post (after searching as much as possible and finding no solution with my own effort) so I can fix my issue and move on with my life. I do not wish to come off as rude or inconsiderate, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right because I've had posts where there was more critisizing of my post than helping me solve the problem. I'd like to streamline this as much as possible so I can get back to enjoying my laptop with this wonderful distro. Thanks in advance.

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2017-03-16 20:04:17

loqs

Re: Asus G50VT (GTX 260M) Nouveau missing screen resolution options.

#3 2017-03-20 02:31:54

CPUnltd
Website

Re: Asus G50VT (GTX 260M) Nouveau missing screen resolution options.

Thank you for that... Seems like the second time around trying the xrandr commands apparently worked for adding and initiating the correct resolution (first try failed, but I may not have wrapped my head around what I was reading right away). I consider this a workaround as opposed to being solved because the original issue of "why is this not working" hasn't been addressed. Which logs make the most sense to post? I will make sure I post them in the next few days so this can be officially fixed if it's possible to do so.

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

Board footer