You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-20 17:57:44

raywinkelman
Banned
Website

Grub Can't Find It's Normal.mod On A FakeRAID Rsync Target

Grub Can't Find It's Normal.mod On A FakeRAID Rsync Target

Greetings!

I've exhausted every other online resource, and it's time to extend my hand to the Arch community. I've migrated my Arch distribution from one Fake RAID to another using the rsync command, so, as I understand this: There's no need for a new initram image, or re-adding the dm_mod or dmraid Grub hook.

I thought that these commands (Run from a Live OpenSUSE USB environment) would do the trick. Alas, they did not.

Run dmraid:

dmraid -ay

Mount the RAID volume's primary partition:

mount /dev/mapper/isw_dijbbadea_Volume0p1 /mnt

Give chroot places to run things:

for i in /sys /proc /run /dev /dev/pts; do sudo mount --bind "$i" "/mnt$i"; done

Chroot into my Arch home:

chroot /mnt

Get a UUID to update fstab with:

blkid

Note: This is when I update fstab - commenting all lines except the Arch partition.

Reinstall grub:

grub-install --recheck /dev/mapper/isw_dijbbadea_Volume0

Update grub:

update-grub

This process outputs no errors to the console, and update grub does find the operating system. However, booting the volume will load the grub-rescue console after reporting the following:

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found

The problem: The file exists at that path. When chroot'ed:

cd /boot/grub/i386-pc/
find -name "normal*"

Returns:

./normal.mod
Other Failed Attempts
  1. I've installed grub from the live environment (without chroot'ing) using the --boot-directory=/mnt flag, and this produced the same result.

2. I've tried grub2-install as well, alas, the same result.

3. I don't have access to the $prefix or $root grub environment variables from the grub-rescue console. So I don't know these values at grub's boot time. I gave set = etc and booting from grub-rescue a try, but I wasn't able to find normal.mod with only the ls command at my disposal.

4. I've updated both grub, and os-prober in the Arch environment via chroot'ing and yaourt/pacman.

5. Just for the sake of doing it, I regenerated my intiram with the mkinitcpio command once.

This is my first post here. I've been using Arch for 3+ years almost daily now. I'm pretty stumped at this point. I even ran these when I was chrooted once - just in case:

chmod u+s /bin/su
chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo

Last edited by raywinkelman (2017-03-21 21:20:24)

Look ma, I'm doin' puters.

Board footer