You are not logged in.

#76 2017-03-19 18:50:34

patlux
Member
Registered: 2015-03-19
Posts: 3

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

tazjin wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing issues with suspend & resume after a recent kernel update? In 4/5 cases the machine is frozen after resuming.

Somebody asked me on IRC if I was seeing this, too, and now I am!

Same here. Fixed it by downgrade to linux 4.9.11..

Dell XPS 13 9360 / 512 GB SSD (Toshiba) / i7 / 16 GB RAM / QHD Touch

Last edited by patlux (2017-03-19 18:56:35)


const patrick = { aurgithubdotfiles };

Offline

#77 2017-03-20 05:35:57

sQVe
Member
Registered: 2017-02-06
Posts: 4

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

tazjin wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing issues with suspend & resume after a recent kernel update? In 4/5 cases the machine is frozen after resuming.

Somebody asked me on IRC if I was seeing this, too, and now I am!

I think I'm the one you're mentioning. I'm having the same issues but I'm pretty happy to run the LTS kernel, which works really well for me.

I don't want to install the bloated Intel driver and I don't want to disable power saving c-states. So I'm stuck at 4.9 at the moment.


I've updated the linux-nvme sources so all 4.9 kernels are available. I will continue with this as long as I run 4.9 myself.

Offline

#78 2017-03-20 23:03:52

argamanza
Member
Registered: 2016-04-23
Posts: 4

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Hey, i just purchased a new Dell XPS 13,
after creating a bootable USB with an Antergos ISO i just cannot see a boot option for it in the UEFI settings inside "Boot Sequence", unless i enable Legacy ROMs,
what can i do to see it as a normal UEFI ROM boot?

Offline

#79 2017-03-21 00:00:28

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 16,268
Website

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

argamanza, you are trying to hijack a thread for a completely unrelated problem on a different distro simply because the laptop model is the same?

That is not acceptable.  Don't do this again.

Offline

#80 2017-03-24 16:15:52

ichundu
Member
From: Tirana, AL
Registered: 2015-11-20
Posts: 5

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

To those of you who are having suspend/resume issue, does it happen when you leave the lid open and the laptop goes to sleep or do you also have problems when you close the lid and resume afterwards.

In my case, i have started experiencing issues in the former case, i.e. when i leave the lid open and the screen turns off after a period of inactivity it doesn't come back without hard rebooting. I don't think it goes into sleep in this occasion, when i leave some audio playing and return after say ~1 hour, the audio is still playing but I don't get any feedback from the screen.

I have not experienced any suspend resume issue when i close the lid though.

This all started happening at some point during some 4.9.x kernel update i think, not sure.

Last edited by ichundu (2017-03-24 16:16:14)

Offline

#81 2017-03-25 11:11:41

bwat47
Member
Registered: 2009-10-07
Posts: 638

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Esokrates wrote:
tazjin wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing issues with suspend & resume after a recent kernel update? In 4/5 cases the machine is frozen after resuming.

Somebody asked me on IRC if I was seeing this, too, and now I am!

No I have not experienced this :-).

As for my own issue: I got another XPS 13, same specs, but with a 128Gb Toshiba SSD.

Now the strange thing: On the machine with 128GB, Linux recognizes the SSD in RAID mode!! Power consumption is significantly less!!
The difference seems to be Sata link management ... on my 256Gb machine the "/sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy" entries are not present ... so this seems to be the culprit with my higher power consumption.
I am still investigating this, I will post lshw etc. if people are interested.

I noticed some other interesting differences: The built in batteries differ (different Vendor) ... on my 256 GB machine the battery is more recent (from November 2016 vs. October 2016), but it shows me 1.3% battery wear, compared to the other one which reports 0.0%, both machines are new.

EDIT: Getting 1.6W in idle now on the 128GB version, with display on low brightness. AMAZING difference between those models!
Another note regarding the 128GB model: As I said, RAID is enabled and contrary to the 256GB model, the ssd is labeled /dev/sda!


Isn't the 128gb SSD SATA ? Afaik only xps13s with the larger SSDs use NVME

Last edited by bwat47 (2017-03-25 11:13:10)

Offline

#82 2017-03-25 15:00:43

blahhumbug
Member
Registered: 2016-10-08
Posts: 54

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

ichundu wrote:

To those of you who are having suspend/resume issue, does it happen when you leave the lid open and the laptop goes to sleep or do you also have problems when you close the lid and resume afterwards.

In my case, i have started experiencing issues in the former case, i.e. when i leave the lid open and the screen turns off after a period of inactivity it doesn't come back without hard rebooting. I don't think it goes into sleep in this occasion, when i leave some audio playing and return after say ~1 hour, the audio is still playing but I don't get any feedback from the screen.

I have not experienced any suspend resume issue when i close the lid though.

This all started happening at some point during some 4.9.x kernel update i think, not sure.

I thought my system was stable on suspend/resume but I just started noticing this exact same problem.  I have not noticed a case where audio continues to play, but I did notice that the power light was still on, and the keyboard would light up when typing, so a good indication that the system was not in S3.   I've just enabled SSH as well and next time it happens I want to try and SSH in to see how alive the system is.

Do you by chance use KDE with powerdevil?   I've been experimenting with powerdevil settings to see if they have any affect.

Offline

#83 2017-03-26 00:39:45

pecan
Member
Registered: 2007-04-06
Posts: 93

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

I've got the 256gb I5 9360 but interestingly it comes with a Samsung PM961 SSD. I was under the impression the 9360 came with Toshiba SSDs?

Seem to be having some trouble booting using AHCI on bios 1.2.3, so far I've tried grub and systemd-boot but I get a dell screen saying failed to find boot device for either.

Will update the bios and see how I go...

Offline

#84 2017-03-26 06:16:57

pecan
Member
Registered: 2007-04-06
Posts: 93

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Upgrading the bios to 1.3.2 fixed the booting in AHCI mode issue. Everything else went smoothly, works great!

Offline

#85 2017-03-26 07:40:41

sQVe
Member
Registered: 2017-02-06
Posts: 4

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

sQVe wrote:
tazjin wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing issues with suspend & resume after a recent kernel update? In 4/5 cases the machine is frozen after resuming.

Somebody asked me on IRC if I was seeing this, too, and now I am!

I think I'm the one you're mentioning. I'm having the same issues but I'm pretty happy to run the LTS kernel, which works really well for me.

I don't want to install the bloated Intel driver and I don't want to disable power saving c-states. So I'm stuck at 4.9 at the moment.


I've updated the linux-nvme sources so all 4.9 kernels are available. I will continue with this as long as I run 4.9 myself.

My suspend/hibernate is now working 100% after updating to linux 4.10.5-1 and mesa 17.0.2-2.

Note: This is with the modesetting driver not the bloated Intel driver.

Last edited by sQVe (2017-03-26 07:45:47)

Offline

#86 2017-03-26 16:38:41

blahhumbug
Member
Registered: 2016-10-08
Posts: 54

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Thanks sQVe.   I spent hours yesterday trying to replicate the case where S3 fails but display shuts off permanently, but I had already upgraded to linux 4.10.5-1 and mesa 17.0.2-2.   With the "bloated" intel driver, I've so far been unable to replicate the S3 failures, but the problem was always very inconsistent for me to begin with so not completely sure yet.

Last edited by blahhumbug (2017-03-26 16:41:28)

Offline

#87 2017-03-27 14:46:34

The Random User
Member
Registered: 2017-03-27
Posts: 1

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Guys, I'm confused. How do you solve the 4/5 hang-on-resume problem?
(I'm using the i5/FHD/256 model)

Also, for me it happens mostly when I close the lid, but on occasion when I initiate sleep using custom key binding.

Offline

#88 2017-03-28 07:29:51

ichundu
Member
From: Tirana, AL
Registered: 2015-11-20
Posts: 5

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

blahhumbug wrote:
ichundu wrote:

To those of you who are having suspend/resume issue, does it happen when you leave the lid open and the laptop goes to sleep or do you also have problems when you close the lid and resume afterwards.

In my case, i have started experiencing issues in the former case, i.e. when i leave the lid open and the screen turns off after a period of inactivity it doesn't come back without hard rebooting. I don't think it goes into sleep in this occasion, when i leave some audio playing and return after say ~1 hour, the audio is still playing but I don't get any feedback from the screen.

I have not experienced any suspend resume issue when i close the lid though.

This all started happening at some point during some 4.9.x kernel update i think, not sure.

I thought my system was stable on suspend/resume but I just started noticing this exact same problem.  I have not noticed a case where audio continues to play, but I did notice that the power light was still on, and the keyboard would light up when typing, so a good indication that the system was not in S3.   I've just enabled SSH as well and next time it happens I want to try and SSH in to see how alive the system is.

Do you by chance use KDE with powerdevil?   I've been experimenting with powerdevil settings to see if they have any affect.

No i'm using Gnome. Good idea about enabling SSH, i'm gonna try that too.

Offline

#89 2017-03-28 13:14:22

ichundu
Member
From: Tirana, AL
Registered: 2015-11-20
Posts: 5

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

blahhumbug wrote:

Thanks sQVe.   I spent hours yesterday trying to replicate the case where S3 fails but display shuts off permanently, but I had already upgraded to linux 4.10.5-1 and mesa 17.0.2-2.   With the "bloated" intel driver, I've so far been unable to replicate the S3 failures, but the problem was always very inconsistent for me to begin with so not completely sure yet.

Unfortunately i can replicate this every time i try. I leave the display open and the system running for about ~20-30 minutes and  when i return there's no way to get the display working.
I'm on linux 4.10.6-1 and mesa 17.0.2-2.

Offline

#90 2017-03-28 13:58:41

sQVe
Member
Registered: 2017-02-06
Posts: 4

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

ichundu wrote:
blahhumbug wrote:

Thanks sQVe.   I spent hours yesterday trying to replicate the case where S3 fails but display shuts off permanently, but I had already upgraded to linux 4.10.5-1 and mesa 17.0.2-2.   With the "bloated" intel driver, I've so far been unable to replicate the S3 failures, but the problem was always very inconsistent for me to begin with so not completely sure yet.

Unfortunately i can replicate this every time i try. I leave the display open and the system running for about ~20-30 minutes and  when i return there's no way to get the display working.
I'm on linux 4.10.6-1 and mesa 17.0.2-2.

I, sadly, spoke to soon. I'm still having problems with suspend and hibernate with any 4.10 kernel. It seems like its not at often though with 4.10.6. sad

Still no issues with the 4.9 kernel.

Last edited by sQVe (2017-03-28 13:59:16)

Offline

#91 2017-03-29 05:52:46

blahhumbug
Member
Registered: 2016-10-08
Posts: 54

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

I'm still on kernel 4.10.5 and spent more time trying to find a formula to replicate the standby-with-lid-open problem.  My timer was set to 10 minutes, and for some reason the machine just would not even attempt to go to S3 even after 45 minutes of being idle.   Something may have been suppressing powerdevil from going to sleep.   

I lowered the auto-suspend timer to 1 minute, and it finally tried to suspend. This time, the power light never went off, but the keyboard back-lights did not turn on when typing.  I was unable to SSH in to the machine, so S3 is getting far enough to shut down both display and network.

After forcing a reboot, I was able to successfully suspend and resume 30 times in a row.  A this point, I don't really have any evidence that this problem has anything to do with i915 options or drivers.

EDIT:  Annoyingly, plasma/powerdevil no longer lists what program is suppressing suspend/resume like it used to, and I can't find anything in the journal either.   Turns out a chat site I sit in with chrome was causing suspend to not kick in.  The screen will blank out like its going to begin, then immediately turn back on.

Last edited by blahhumbug (2017-03-29 06:22:35)

Offline

#92 2017-03-31 07:24:02

musterzwerg
Member
Registered: 2017-03-31
Posts: 1

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

I'm trying now the 4.9 LTS-Kernel. I will report, if the issue is solved with this kernel.

Offline

#93 2017-04-01 09:39:45

pl
Member
Registered: 2014-02-10
Posts: 25

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Yep, as others have stated, 4.10.5 did not fix suspend. I did get around 12 suspends in a row without problems but then faced the old scenario of resuming and hardlocking the system, with the last pre-suspend frame visible on screen. Like sQVe said, it seems it might happen less frequently than with 4.10.1 for example. Wonder what timing/race condition/sleep state/whatever it is related to.

Quite a downer to lose 10 desktops full of work setup. At least Chromium knows how to restore tabs after a crash and vim keeps nice swap files...

EDIT: Sorry, got distracted and replied to the wrong thread. The 9560 that I was referring to suffers from similar suspend issues starting from 4.10. Was hoping that since first reports on the 9360 side were that 4.10.5 had fixed it that it would have solved the issues with the 9560 as well. The details about how it hardlocks might of course differ.

Last edited by pl (2017-04-02 07:20:57)

Offline

#94 2017-04-02 07:08:28

blahhumbug
Member
Registered: 2016-10-08
Posts: 54

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Hmm, the issue I have is different.  If it successfully suspends (power light shuts off) then it always successfully resumes.  The problem I have is that every now and then it does not successfully suspend fully and the power light never shuts off.   In that case forcing a reboot is the only way to recover.

This most often happens when the lid is open and the idle timer starts the suspend process, but I've had it happen a couple of times when closing the lid as well.

But I've never had any issue with it showing the last pre-suspend frame on the screen.   So I suspect this may be a behavior difference between modesetting and xf86-video-intel.

Offline

#95 2017-04-02 12:49:41

potuz
Member
Registered: 2009-10-23
Posts: 9

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

I am in the process of installing a system on an XPS 13 (9360) and I am deciding on which kernel to go. I have two questions perhaps someone is browsing now:

1) Are there any functionalities of 4.10 that I'd miss by installing 4.9?
2) Have you tried a newer kernel than 4.10.5? Gentoo has 4.10.8 in their sources, or perhaps a vanilla one.

Looking at the changelog for 4.10 nothing strikes me as something that I really need/want in this computer, so I'm leaning towards installing 4.9.20

Offline

#96 2017-04-02 17:23:44

blahhumbug
Member
Registered: 2016-10-08
Posts: 54

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

The main reason right now to choose 4.10 over 4.9 would probably be for GuC firmware loading support in order to update the HD620 firmware.   Kernel 4.11 should be released soon, and that will include both HuC firmware loading support (to get H.265 firmware improvements) as well as the NVMe power saving patches for better battery life.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is also GVT support starting in 4.10 if you plan to do any VMs.

Last edited by blahhumbug (2017-04-02 17:44:23)

Offline

#97 2017-04-02 20:36:59

sQVe
Member
Registered: 2017-02-06
Posts: 4

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Just tried 4.10.8 with 50 suspend and 25 hibernate without it hanging once. Getting a bit hopeful. We'll see how it goes in the coming days.

Offline

#98 2017-04-05 17:34:27

jarch87
Member
Registered: 2011-08-12
Posts: 10

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

Is anyone else getting MCE errors on this laptop?

It's quite new and relatively unused, I found some post from ubuntu users that even had parts replaced by Dell, but the errors persisted.

[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 297)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 297)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d2f0bcaf 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d2f10222 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d31e254b 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d31e39f5 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:30:12 2017] plugin-containe[1969]: segfault at 1a8 ip 00007ff03df0a840 sp 00007fff8f10a900 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[7ff03d8bd000+ec0000]
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 547)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 547)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce_notify_irq: 1 callbacks suppressed
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67f9bb1c50 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67f9bb653a 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67fa3f3508 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67fa3f4e4d 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] CPU3: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2335)
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] CPU1: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2335)
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce_notify_irq: 1 callbacks suppressed
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 1: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088012a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC f33abaa629c 
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412535 SOCKET 0 APIC 2 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 3: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088012a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC f33abaa814f 
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412535 SOCKET 0 APIC 3 microcode 30

This is just from browsing internet with firefox, nothing intensive running.

New laptop, noticed it somewhere around linux-4.10.x, currently on linux-4.10.8-1 .

Since I see it on Arch myself, and can find google results from Ubuntu user im guessing this is a nix in general issue. Anyone else?

Offline

#99 2017-04-06 01:23:35

pjgm
Member
Registered: 2017-03-12
Posts: 3

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

jarch87 wrote:

Is anyone else getting MCE errors on this laptop?

It's quite new and relatively unused, I found some post from ubuntu users that even had parts replaced by Dell, but the errors persisted.

[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 297)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 297)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 377)
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d2f0bcaf 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d2f10222 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d31e254b 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC b56d31e39f5 
[Wed Apr  5 18:25:17 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491411072 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:30:12 2017] plugin-containe[1969]: segfault at 1a8 ip 00007ff03df0a840 sp 00007fff8f10a900 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[7ff03d8bd000+ec0000]
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 547)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 547)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU1: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce_notify_irq: 1 callbacks suppressed
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 633)
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67f9bb1c50 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088022a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67f9bb653a 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Core temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67fa3f3508 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088032a8a
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC e67fa3f4e4d 
[Wed Apr  5 18:44:38 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412233 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU3: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:38 2017] CPU1: Package temperature/speed normal
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] CPU3: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2335)
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] CPU1: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2335)
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce_notify_irq: 1 callbacks suppressed
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 1: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088012a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC f33abaa629c 
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412535 SOCKET 0 APIC 2 microcode 30
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 3: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088012a8b
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC f33abaa814f 
[Wed Apr  5 18:49:40 2017] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1491412535 SOCKET 0 APIC 3 microcode 30

This is just from browsing internet with firefox, nothing intensive running.

New laptop, noticed it somewhere around linux-4.10.x, currently on linux-4.10.8-1 .

Since I see it on Arch myself, and can find google results from Ubuntu user im guessing this is a nix in general issue. Anyone else?

This happened to me but it was totally my fault as the laptop wasn't breathing as i was using it in bed. If you're experiencing this issue on a light workload i recommend checking your temps and contacting dell if they are too high. I would also love to know what are the temps everyone here is getting for comparison purposes.

In my case, on a light workload i'm getting from 60Cº to around 75Cº.
I've also just stress tested the CPU and it imediately went to almost 100Cº but it dropped down to around 90Cº with the fan at full speed.

-----

About the suspend freezes, any luck with 4.10.8? Is it finally fixed?

Offline

#100 2017-04-06 05:14:35

blahhumbug
Member
Registered: 2016-10-08
Posts: 54

Re: Dell XPS 13 Late 2016 9360 Kaby Lake 7th Gen

That is normal thermal throttling.  I believe it is triggered around 90c.   I see it every now and then when I kick off some heavy loads.  thermald appears a bit sluggish to respond to rapid rises in temperature at time, and so the hardware throttling mechanism will kick in.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB