You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-04 12:16:35

quequotion
Website

No GtkScrolledWindow backgrounds with overlay-scrollbar

First, example with pavucontrol:
108653b.png soa8pg.png

Then, my reason for asking here in this forum in particular: The package is gtk3-ubuntu from AUR. These rendering issues do not occur with the gtk3 package from [extra], so I am farily confident the problem is in gtk3-ubuntu (not the window manager, not opengl, not the gpu). There's really nowhere else to ask--gnome can't support the patched package; ubuntu can't support a package they didn't publish.

I have tried to look this up every way I can think of. It's really difficult to websearch for a problem with rendering in gtk because there are numerous forum posts, bug reports, blog posts, etc using all of the various keywords I thought up to describe this issue. I've read a lot of threads and bug reports but none describing this particular issue.

EDIT: As I suspected, I have been barking up the wrong tree. The problem is not with gtk itself, but somehow liboverlay-scrollbar-gtk3 breaking GtkScrolledWindow widgets.

Finally, let me describe the problem to the best of my ability:

Certain gtk3 applications (pavucontrol, gnome-control-center, etc) but not all gtk3 applications are rendered with some areas transparent as if their backgrounds were missing (without composting, these areas render as the background color). Anything that was visible through those areas when the window initially drew will be stuck there, even if the window moves (see above). Anything rendered in those areas of the window from that point forward stacks on top of what is already there (with or without composting). Despite all the mess, the windows actually work as if nothing were wrong--if you can distinguish where you want to click or type they still accept input. I have had this problem before, but the applications it affects have changed (slingshot-launcher is no longer affected). I go through a lot of versions of gtk3{,-ubuntu} (I have three or four PKGBUILD of my own, although I am currently using the one published by horsemanoffaith) and I haven't always had this problem, but it seems like I usually do with any version of gtk3-ubuntu.

EDIT: It's likely that at times when I upgraded or changed gtk I may have uninstalled / disabled overlay-scrollbars and re-enabled them later.

I'm currently in the process of testing the patches in gtk3-ubuntu one-by-one to see if they are the problem, which is going to take a very long time. If anyone else has had this problem, or has some insight into what might be the cause, I would really appreciate some help.

Last edited by quequotion (2017-03-21 15:07:24)

#2 2017-03-21 12:33:35

quequotion
Website

Re: No GtkScrolledWindow backgrounds with overlay-scrollbar

Never got anywhere going through ubuntu's patches; seems like a problem in gtk3 with certain kinds of window not getting themed properly.

In gtk3-demo, Flowbox and Cursors suffer this problem:
Screenshot_from_2017_03_21_21_29_04.png Screenshot_from_2017_03_21_21_28_51.png

#3 2017-03-21 12:54:40

quequotion
Website

Re: No GtkScrolledWindow backgrounds with overlay-scrollbar

Aha! It's overlay-scrollbars. Looks like gnome-shell's compositing would render the areas black (like they are in openbox without compositing) while compiz and compton render them transparent.

Somehow this is caused by overlay-scrollbars... curious...

Last edited by quequotion (2017-03-21 14:21:57)

Board footer