You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-15 12:42:16

MickeyKnox

Can't connect to encrypted wifi network

I have a Samsung N150 netbook and wifi used to work just fine. After an upgrade some time ago I couldn't connect to encrypted wifi networks anymore. I did not bother to track the problem immediately because I don't use my netbook that often and was hoping it would just be fixed in the next upgrade or so. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

I use networkmanager to configure the network and I start nm-applet from the command line. This is the output as soon as I click on a network (networkmanager does list all wifi networks within reach):

** Message: Remote error from secret service: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files

(nm-applet:3101): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

(nm-applet:3101): nm-applet-WARNING **: Failed to show notification: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

Some of these messages have always been there, maybe all; and this might not have anything to do with networkmanager not being able to connect. In the old days, when everything was just working fine, networkmanager would simply open a dialog and ask me for the wifi password (if I haven't configured it already); but now, nothing happens.

Yesterday I've tried wicd for a change (of course, I've stopped networkmanager before doing so). (dhcpcd isn't running either.) wicd-curses can also list all availabe networks, but when I click the right cursor key on a network to configure it, wicd just craches with the following output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1146, in call_update_ui
    self.update_ui(True)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 97, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kargs)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1159, in update_ui
    self.handle_keys(input_data)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1037, in handle_keys
    self.diag = WirelessSettingsDialog(pos, self.frame)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/netentry_curses.py", line 503, in __init__
    self.set_values()
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/netentry_curses.py", line 543, in set_values
    wireless.GetWirelessProperty(networkID, 'bitrate')
ValueError: None is not in list

Since both wicd and networkmanager can't connect to an encrypted network, I believe the problem isn't with either of them. Maybe the wifi chip in my netbook isn't supported anymore or needs some special attention. Any ideas?

#2 2017-03-15 14:21:02

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Can't connect to encrypted wifi network

Try connecting manually with wpa_supplicant and a dhcp client and check if it works.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-03-21 17:26:44

MickeyKnox

Sorry for the late answer, I had a busy weekend. But finally I followed your suggestion and everything worked flawlessly. I'm writing this over WIFI right now smile

So, looks like the problem is with networkmanager and wicd after all. What now?

#4 2017-03-27 14:48:44

eliotime3000
Website

MickeyKnox wrote:

Sorry for the late answer, I had a busy weekend. But finally I followed your suggestion and everything worked flawlessly. I'm writing this over WIFI right now smile

So, looks like the problem is with networkmanager and wicd after all. What now?

Which Wireless card model are you using? Please, post the Wireless card model that shows in the lspci command.

Maybe could be related with a firmware that is not working well.

#5 2017-04-20 17:57:38

MickeyKnox

eliotime3000 wrote:

Please, post the Wireless card model that shows in the lspci command.

05:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Board footer