You are not logged in.

#5851 2017-02-26 06:32:59

avidavi

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi Everyone , Using arch for about 2 months now and I am really enjoying it.

#5852 2017-02-26 13:43:15

Awebb

Texbrew wrote:

Arch is a little like LEGOs.

Just avoid stepping on it.

#5853 2017-02-26 14:12:39

olegabrielz

LEGO vs Arch:

Step on LEGO and you got a sore foot.
Step on Arch and you should wish you had stepped on LEGO instead.

Last edited by olegabrielz (2017-02-26 14:25:56)

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#5854 2017-02-26 20:18:24

Texbrew

@avidavi, Welcome Aboard, enjoy the ride.

@Awebb and @olegabrielz, Arch has done more to keep me "on my toes" than any other linux OS. So much fun, though.

#5855 2017-02-27 13:28:34

Kryzen

Thanks for the welcome, guys! And haha, yeah, indeed. tongue

#5856 2017-03-02 16:03:27

WillFF

Hello world! I am William. New to arch but many years of computing and writing software. I look forward to joining this community, learning more about arch (my new OS big_smile ) and maybe working on some open source code to give back to this community. See you guys around!

-WFF

#5857 2017-03-04 20:29:12

lenon

Hi everyone! I started using Ubuntu in 2013, tried some Antergos in 2015, distro-hopped a bit (Debian, Mint and Fedora, as far as I remember) and around October last year I took the plunge and switched to Arch. I'm pretty keen on getting SteamOS on a gaming rig sometime soon, but I've finally settled on Arch as my daily driver. It's been much more stable than I'd expected and the easy customizability is amazing. I'm still hunting for a nice instant/"just-add-water" distro, but so far nothing beats Arch for my purposes.

#5858 2017-03-05 06:27:50

SAK

Hi everyone, I(SAK) started using linux after "Blue Screen of Death" ocurred in 2014 while using windows. It was then i came to know about ubuntu used in my college (for labs) and installed the same.

I remember having trouble installing gcc. At that time with lack of idea i tried to install it using "make" instead of using apt or dpkg. It took like 4-5 tries of "four" hours each ( dependencies like flex) to install GCC . I never went to my teacher for help as most of them have windows and are good only with virtual machines.

I then had problem with Grub rescue when i tried to install some OS and cancled in the end. This is when fun part of grub.Till date my friends ask my help  with the Grub rescue and has happened like 50 times.

I also had problem with upgrading ubuntu, well that was solved by installing gdm and some other desktop, but i guess i solved once by changing ownership of some .Xauthority file in home directory ( not quiet sure).

well and installing arch from usb bootable was fun ended up destroying all other os and partition just before final exam. spent like one day to get it all right, fortunately i was able to get ready by 6 hours of ppt work (in libreoffice) for exam. all that ends well is well.

i bought  a new PC with Dos and hopped OS to OS like every month but this year i have been quiet stable with antergos with some four other os in grub ( arch included).My choice on office would be wps office as it is having both feature and compatability with ms office.

#5859 2017-03-05 14:29:29

hilltownboy

Trilby, my post was in no way a complaint: you are providing an extraordinary service helping arch and linux users.

#5860 2017-03-08 09:09:59

blaze

Hi everyone. New to the Arch way, but I promise to do my homework before asking. smile

#5861 2017-03-08 11:03:13

Texbrew

Welcome to the forums, fellow brave souls. @ blaze, yes, do your homework. After you finish it, don't be afraid to ask. You may be asked to reword the question or give better specifics, but that's just the way it's done around here. When you think about it, that's only reasonable. Our Arch gurus are not mind readers.  You will be rewarded for your work, if it's only in the form of self satisfaction for meeting the challenges you may encounter along the Arch way. My opinion, it's a better way. I'm not one of the gurus, I'm just a guy who loves Arch Linux.

Cheers!

tex

#5862 2017-03-09 21:44:15

Alberto-Trujillo

Hi again guys,
Welcome to the new ones, and thanks to some of you who gave me a warm welcome a month ago.
(Olegabrielz, Runical, Texbrew)
Alberto

"I believe I never knew what the word 'round' meant until I saw the Earth from space."
(Aleksei Leonov)

#5863 2017-03-10 11:38:28

sparelife

hellow very newbie here ^_^

#5864 2017-03-10 20:52:48

lucastracq

hi there, archers! it's been a long time since the last time i used archlinux but i'm finally back here. awesome as always and running very good on my chromebook (with more than 10gb left on its tiny ssd). thanks a lot for your work!

#5865 2017-03-13 16:37:08

dilzel

Hello everyone, semi-newbie here ! big_smile

I've used Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora for some years, and finally found that Arch was the one I like most.

Also I like and use GNOME Shell and Python.

#5866 2017-03-13 18:40:48

rilianus

Hey Guys!

I've been using linux distributions on and off for the last couple of years - mainly Ubuntu. The past year however with my developer skills ambition I've started using Ubuntu more heavily and quickly noticed that it doesn't fully embrace the UNIX way and so moved on to the Arch Linux - I've been using it full-time for 5 months now. I have to say things have been difficult to set up but I've learned a lot and nowadays with my i3 setup things are so much easier to do it's simply ridiculous compared to any previous PC setup - and it's been a really, really stable ride - Ubuntu tended to have a lot of problems and break a lot.
On the laptop side I moved on the GalliumOS with i3 as well so I'm rolling the full linux way nowadays - hope to have a fun time on the forums! wink

#5867 2017-03-16 18:09:59

DeVonAusfern

Hi everyone!

I am in the GNU/Linux world since last year, and I discover Arch a few months ago. I think it's the best wiki and community that I found, and I would be proud of being part of.

Sorry about my bad english. I am working in that.
Salut!

#5868 2017-03-18 16:15:44

lvml

Hello everyone,

I started using Arch yesterday, when installing a new computer (AMD Ryzen 1800X CPU, Asus X370 PRO mainboard, AMD RX460 GPU) to replace an older computer of mine.

I am not new to Linux, I used Linux starting from kernel version 0.98, and before that HP-UX, NetBSD... so I do have >25 years of experience unter Unix derivatives (and experience with AmigaOS and the C64 operating system before that).

For the last 15 years I mostly used RedHat / CentOS distributions, but for my new computer I wanted a distribution with a "rolling release" model and the latest Xorg, so I considered gentoo and Arch, and I really like the Arch way of giving me a console prompt for installation.

So far, I am happy with my Arch experience, with only minor quirks I'll post in a seperate thread.
One thing I missed was an option to download an image with a package repository. That would have saved me a lot of waiting time during the installation procedure - I could have done the download before installing.

Best regards - and thanks to all the contributors!

#5869 2017-03-20 09:58:17

gbk

Hi Archers smile
I start here with the trouble of last several days.
I used Mint 17 for about 3 years. After latest blender upgrade to 2.78c
my green herbal Linux doesn't want to cooperate. Blender is crashing at RMB - very often and useful click.
It is probably the problem of Radeon HD 6730 M drivers. I've found no way to upgrade this driver for Mint kernel.
So I'm looking for distro which accept latest and next blender versions on my HP Pavilion dv 7 with Radeon. Can Arch do it?
The question is directed to experienced Arch users familiar with blender.
Can my arrow reach the target described?
Regards
Greg

#5870 2017-03-23 11:00:30

Artemka94

Hello everyone. I'm using Arch for about 1 year and happy to use it smile

Before using Arch I tried Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, RH. All of this experience was useful and helped me to stop change ditros and start using Arch.
Better things in Arch, in my opinion, is kiss-philosophy, pacman and community.

Gonna have a good time withv Arch and wish you too!)

#5871 2017-03-26 15:17:20

Franco1964

Hi everyone!

My name is Franco, I'm Italian, from Milan. I'm a journalist, and I've a lot of hobbies, the most important are tech, reading, music (I play bass guitar) and photography. I've installed Arch two days ago.

I'm an old Linux user (my first distribution was a SuSE in 1999, but I've tried in the past also RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, Ubuntu...). On my pc there is now a fresh Archlinux, alongside with Windows 10, that I used (with good satisfaction) for my everyday tasks and my hobbies.

I'm here because I like a lot the philosophy beyond Archlinux: I'm definitely not a programmer (but I'm not afraid in editing configurations file with nano smile), but I think that the KISS approach, and the power to create a system that suit me like a taylor-made dress is awesome.

I hope that in the future i can use it also for my hobbies!

Best wishes to everyone (and sorry for my english)

Franco

Last edited by Franco1964 (2017-03-26 15:18:29)

#5872 2017-03-26 16:42:55

Texbrew

Welcome, new forum members. I'm glad you're here.

#5873 2017-03-27 07:38:06

warezIbanez

Hey everyone, the name's Ibanez. As in former MLB Outfielder, almost like Pearl Jam's attempt at an homage to NBA player Mookie Blaylock (first album is Ten still even after they decided to not go with his name for their band.)

Anyway, I've been going between various Linux distros for about eleven years now, though I can't say it's been on a continuous basis. I've been getting acquainted with Arch for the past month while lurking the forum as much as possible without having to ask stupid questions. I plan to use Arch on hardware regardless of age, though it's possible that it will be much tougher when i686 is phased out later this year.

With that said, I feel I may have to create a thread or two pertaining to a few issues I've run into, attempting to install the latest packages onto a couple machines that are nearing antiquity (if not there already.) I'll be getting data on errors and whatnot arranged before I post such threads.

#5874 2017-03-29 17:52:34

eMdzeJ

Hello everyone.

My name is Michal and I'm using linux form time to time for about 15 years. This is my second arch install and it will be my work OS.

#5875 2017-03-30 08:09:49

MaBoga

Goodmorning,

I'm Martijn and I've been using Linux Mint at home and Scientific Linux on my work computer and really enjoy working with it. Although, sometimes I have to hit myself against the head, when using a script which without notice overwrites my files, due to the fact I did not pay any attention. Now I'm trying to get Arch to run on my new laptop, but this time in Dual boot with the Windows10 OS, but I'm going into details on this adventure in the appropriate channel.

Enjoy your day!

Entropy Rules

Board footer