SOLVED-Unable to lock session properly with light-locker under LightDM

Steps to reproduce:
Inside my DE:

$ light-locker &
$ light-locker-command -l

Inside my greeter:

Ctrl+Alt+F7

See also this bug report.
As the title says, I am unable to lock my session; though I am faced with my greeter, I can easily circumvent this by switching to tty7. The commenters in the link above were quick to point out that the OP did not actually lock his session, and needed to run something along the lines of

light-locker-command -l

However, if I run this, after invoking light-locker manually inside my DE, I get the exact same result; a greeter that is easily circumventable. Also, this results in the following output in my command line where I invoked light-locker:

process 21100: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file dbus-message.c line 1367.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

[1]  + abort (core dumped)  light-locker

I have a feeling that I skipped some part of the light-locker configuration, but all the sources I found seem to imply that this should work. Am I doing something wrong? Where else should I start light-locker? I tried putting it in ~/.xsession which only made me unable to log in, giving me a black screen after leaving the greeter.

Last edited by daanjderuiter (2017-04-19 12:16:43)

#2 2017-03-27 17:04:26

Konato_K

Re: SOLVED-Unable to lock session properly with light-locker under LightDM

The bug report you linked seems to be related to 'dm-tool lock' rather than light-locker.

I had this problem with dm-tool but light-locker works fine, I can still switch to the tty7, but I'm faced with a "Your screen is locked" dialog covering the whole screen and seems like there's no way around it (trying pressing all the buttons I could and it worked fine).

I use lightdm with fluxbox, and I call light-locker in the .fluxbox/startup, are you just calling "light-locker &"?

#3 2017-04-19 12:15:55

daanjderuiter

Re: SOLVED-Unable to lock session properly with light-locker under LightDM

I "fixed" it by adding an entry in my i3 config that autostarts light-locker. However, I'm not completely content with this solution, since the problem would just start to resurface the moment I use another desktop. I would have liked to have a solution which applies to all desktops. I tried things like calling light-locker in the Xsession-file in /etc/lightdm, as well as in the xserverrc and xinitrc files in /etc/X11/xinit/; none of these worked, so I'm sticking with the solution with the config file

Board footer