You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-27 22:31:43

Orobouros

Kernel panics at shutdown since linux-lts-4.9.13 (and w/ 4.10.5)

My kernel likes to panic during shutdown.  Luckily it's only during shutdown so I can still use my machine for the most part.  I start X manually and it if I'm remembering correctly if I only use the command line it doesn't happen.  But if I'm using only the command line I tend not to be on very long, so time may be the real factor here.  However, I noticed that my RAID array needed a resync.  In any case, a kernel panic every use probably is going to cause problems at some point.

it's also not consistent.  Sometimes there's a kernel panic, sometimes not.  I use the lts kernel and have had this problem since the change from 4.4.52 to 4.9.xxx and upward.  There's been occasional updates so I thought this would resolve the issue, but it hasn't. I've tried switching over to 4.10, but still get the same problem.  The regular looking shutdown is replaced by a bunch of messages.  Sometimes it appears to be waiting for a job to complete, which always times out.  Sometimes it panics but manages to power off after a few minutes. it feels like every kernel update changes the way it crashes at shutdown. 

I've tried downgrading my kernel but that fails to boot properly: the kernel modules won't load and I've yet to figure out which modules aren't compatible with 4.4.52.

Some probably-relevant info:

>: uname -a
Linux computah 4.10.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 22 14:42:03 CET 2017 x86_64
>: cat /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf                                [18:19:08]
title 		Arch Linux UTD
linux 		/vmlinuz-linux
initrd 		/intel-ucode.img
initrd 		/initramfs-linux.img
options 	cryptdevice=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:eroot root=/dev/mapper/eroot rw
>: pacman -Qe | grep nvidia                                          [18:30:05]
nvidia 378.13-4
nvidia-lts 378.13-4
opencl-nvidia 378.13-6

#2 2017-03-28 02:19:01

Orobouros

Re: Kernel panics at shutdown since linux-lts-4.9.13 (and w/ 4.10.5)

It happened again and I managed to get some more info.  The first error that occurs is

BUG: Bad page state in process Xorg

Around 2013 or 2014 it seems a similar bug occurred and had something to do with nvidia drivers, which I'm using, too  (updated of course). 

I took a video of the shutdown process and got some stuff that means nothing to me but might be helpful (and in no particular order)

CPU: 3 PID: 1 Comm: systemd Tainted : P    B D      O      4.10.5-1-ARCH #1
Call Trace: dump_stack +0x63/0x83
bad_page+0xc4/0x130
kvm: exiting hardware virtualization
igb 0000:07:00.0: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
acpi_power_off called

This time it actually shut down, but other times it doesn't.

Board footer