You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-28 04:28:40

daguq

Gnome no progress bar

Whenever I am trying to copy a file , The file just copies itself onto the location and there is no way to know even if the file is copied or not . There is no progress bar for showing the status , or even the circular icon on the right side of nautilus that was introduced to show the progress . Is it a bug in gnome 3.22 ? What's the solution ?

#2 2017-03-28 06:30:04

phw

Re: Gnome no progress bar

For me the progress shows with that circular icon and a popover. But it only shows if the copying takes longer, if it is more or less instantly this does not show up.

#3 2017-03-28 06:33:50

daguq

phw wrote:

For me the progress shows with that circular icon and a popover. But it only shows if the copying takes longer, if it is more or less instantly this does not show up.

Isn't it a bad feature ?

#4 2017-03-28 06:43:36

phw

daguq wrote:
phw wrote:

Isn't it a bad feature ?

What do you mean? The progress indicator? I actually like that circular thingy. Or the fact that it does not show up for quick copies? I personally don't miss a progress bar if there is no progress to be notified about. Nautilus highlights the files I just copied and I can go on with my life. But however I think about it doesn't matter. Either you like it or not, and if not you can discuss improvements for it in the Gnome bug tracker.

#5 2017-03-28 07:06:11

daguq

phw wrote:
daguq wrote:
phw wrote:

Isn't it a bad feature ?

What do you mean? The progress indicator? I actually like that circular thingy. Or the fact that it does not show up for quick copies? I personally don't miss a progress bar if there is no progress to be notified about. Nautilus highlights the files I just copied and I can go on with my life. But however I think about it doesn't matter. Either you like it or not, and if not you can discuss improvements for it in the Gnome bug tracker.

How large files are we talking about ?

#6 2017-03-28 07:25:39

phw

daguq wrote:

You tell me wink This is about debugging the problem on your end, not mine. It is still not quite clear to me whether the progress indicator does not show up for you at all or if it is as I described for fast copies it doesn't show up, for long ones it does. How long does copying those files actually take?

On my system it does only indirectly depend on file size, it seems to be about duration of the process. I have not measured it, but I would say the progress indicator shows up at around a 1/4 second after I started copying. If copying is finished before that I don't see it at all. If I copy a several 100 MB file it definitely shows up, if it is only a couple of MB it does not show up. If I copy 90 MB on m SSD it does not show up, if I copy the same file to my external hard drive it takes longer and shows up.

#7 2017-03-28 07:29:15

daguq

phw wrote:
daguq wrote:

You tell me wink This is about debugging the problem on your end, not mine. It is still not quite clear to me whether the progress indicator does not show up for you at all or if it is as I described for fast copies it doesn't show up, for long ones it does. How long does copying those files actually take?

On my system it does only indirectly depend on file size, it seems to be about duration of the process. I have not measured it, but I would say the progress indicator shows up at around a 1/4 second after I started copying. If copying is finished before that I don't see it at all. If I copy a several 100 MB file it definitely shows up, if it is only a couple of MB it does not show up. If I copy 90 MB on m SSD it does not show up, if I copy the same file to my external hard drive it takes longer and shows up.

This morning I copied a 4 GB file into my desktop and it didn't show up . No matter what the size of the file is , the progress bar doesn't show up sad

#8 2017-03-28 07:32:49

phw

That definitely looks like a bug then, not sure why this is happening to you and not for me. Since we should get Gnome 3.24 soon I would probably just wait and see if this is fixed in Nautilus 3.24 before wasting time on debugging this deeper.

#9 2017-03-28 07:36:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

From where/which filesystem? If you are within the same filesystem/partition most modern filesystem will just place another link at the target location, without doing an actual copy. Which will be fast because the file content isn't touched.

Last edited by V1del (2017-03-28 07:48:01)

#10 2017-03-28 07:42:32

phw

Yeah, also what V1del said. As I wrote above: It is not about size but speed smile So how long does it take for the copied file to show up in Nautilus? Maybe also try copying the same file from console with "time copy yourfile yourcopy" to get a feeling how long the file copy actually takes.

#11 2017-03-28 07:48:43

daguq

V1del wrote:

From where? If you are within the same filesystem/partition most modern filesystem will just place another link at the target location, without doing an actual copy. Which will be fast because the file content isn't touched.

From one to another .
i am copying from my USB which is Exfat to my arch linux root partition , which is ext4 .

#12 2017-03-28 07:52:16

daguq

phw wrote:

Yeah, also what V1del said. As I wrote above: It is not about size but speed smile So how long does it take for the copied file to show up in Nautilus? Maybe also try copying the same file from console with "time copy yourfile yourcopy" to get a feeling how long the file copy actually takes.

I actually did that smile . And it was all good . The files copy just fine , but there's no way to know if it has completed (I am talking about gnome nautilus) , but the file gets highlighted after being copied , which is obviously a bad way to inform if a file is copied or not smile . FYI I ran nautilus in XFCE and the progress bar popped up just fine , even for files ~1 GB , but not in Gnome (neither the progress bar , nor the tiny circular thingy tongue ) . I am quite sure it's a gnome bug . Hope they will rectify it in 3.24 .

#13 2017-03-28 10:34:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Test with a new user with default themes etc. I've seen outdated themes break the circular progress indicator.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2017-03-28 10:35:19)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer