You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-09 19:02:53

Eugenia
Website

GUIDE: Suspend-to-RAM with a Radeon-based laptop

For years I couldn't make my laptop go to "sleep" when closing the lid. It would go to sleep correctly, but it wouldn't wake up correctly (black screen, keyboard on raw mode). I found what's wrong though, I fixed it, and now I provide the solution plus a script to others with a Radeon-based laptop with the same problems (using the default r200 xorg driver, not ATI's driver):
http://eugenia.blogsome.com/2006/06/09/ … -on-linux/

Please note that while there are some laptops with Radeon cards that sleep worked out of the box, there are some --like mine-- that didn't. This guide is for these "difficult" laptops.

#2 2006-06-10 00:08:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: GUIDE: Suspend-to-RAM with a Radeon-based laptop

shoulda posted somethin about it earlier, my laptop has the same issue, but I solved it years ago.

Hibernate scripts has support to do each of the things you do in your scripts as well as a lot more fun stuff.

pacman -S hibernate-script from [extra], and enable the vbetool options in /etc/hibernate/common.conf,
as well as SwitchToTextMode, and if they dont work, UseDummyXServer too.

James

#3 2006-06-10 00:40:05

Eugenia
Website

I am sorry, but we are not talking about the same thing. You are talking about hibernate (suspend-to-disk), while I talk about sleep (suspend-to-ram). I don't care about hibernate personally, many in the Arch community directed me to it because it's more compatible than sleep, but I only cared about real laptop sleep. Just like on the Mac laptops.

#4 2006-06-10 01:03:31

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Eugenia wrote:

I am sorry, but we are not talking about the same thing. You are talking about hibernate (suspend-to-disk), while I talk about sleep (suspend-to-ram). I don't care about hibernate personally, many in the Arch community directed me to it because it's more compatible than sleep, but I only cared about real laptop sleep. Just like on the Mac laptops.

im talking about hibernate scripts, which are a generic set of hibernate/suspend/sleep scripts and have full support to suspend to ram. take a look at /etc/hibernate/ram.conf wink

So we are talking about the same thing,

James

#5 2006-06-10 01:25:58

Eugenia
Website

As I explained in my blog post, the problem was not that I was not using the right scripts before. I didn't need hibernate. The problem was the kernel parameter. The hibernate scripts don't pass any parameters, so in effect, they would not have sold my problem.

However, I have one more laptop (333 mhz sony vaio), which works perfectly in sleep/wake up, but it doesn't bring back the network stack. I get network is through a pcmcia orinoco_cs wifi card. If you have any idea what to do to bring it back, I am all ears. I am trying to restart the yenta_socket driver, the pcmcia-start script and the network service, but none of these are able to wake up the wifi card properly. Not even when I take out the card and put it back in...

#6 2006-06-10 07:26:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Eugenia wrote:

However, I have one more laptop (333 mhz sony vaio), which works perfectly in sleep/wake up, but it doesn't bring back the network stack. I get network is through a pcmcia orinoco_cs wifi card. If you have any idea what to do to bring it back, I am all ears. I am trying to restart the yenta_socket driver, the pcmcia-start script and the network service, but none of these are able to wake up the wifi card properly. Not even when I take out the card and put it back in...

ensure the network is shut off before shutdown, and all of it's modules are completely unloaded as this effectively disable it. then on restore, reload the modules and reconnect network.

hibernate scripts has an option to unload all possible modules and then reload them all on startup, it's a good workaround for hardware that isnt friendly with suspend. it doesnt hurt, and has saved me from many problems with suspend in the past.

James

#7 2006-06-10 17:42:20

Eugenia
Website

Problem is, the wifi driver, orinoco_cs, doesn't unload. I have tried to remove the pcmcia, hermes and orinoco modules, but orinoco would nag that it can't unload because it's currently used.

#8 2006-06-11 00:27:31

iphitus
Forum Fellow

and all network was down? it had lost it's IP and everything?

#9 2006-06-11 03:41:25

Eugenia
Website

Yes, nothing worked after resume. Trying to re-initialize pcmcia and restart the service would do nothing. I could see the wifi card flashing trying to get an IP, but it wouldn't get any. Only reboot fixed the problem.

I am all ears about any suggestions, I like the simple script I use currently and I would prefer it over the hibernate scripts...

#10 2006-06-11 04:42:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Eugenia wrote:

Yes, nothing worked after resume. Trying to re-initialize pcmcia and restart the service would do nothing. I could see the wifi card flashing trying to get an IP, but it wouldn't get any. Only reboot fixed the problem.

I am all ears about any suggestions, I like the simple script I use currently and I would prefer it over the hibernate scripts...

i meant, was all the network down, IP and everything before resume, and before attempting to unload it - not after.

If you can manage to unload the driver, then you should be able to suspend it fine. make sure there arent any other modules that use the module you're trying to unload (see lsmod), and if there are, remove them first.

James

#11 2006-06-11 07:16:28

Eugenia
Website

I don't think that the "/etc/rc.d/network stop" unloads my wifi modules, no.

I tried to remove orinoco, but it says that it's needed by orinoco_cs. Trying to unload orinoco_cs, it won't let me. I tried to unload pcmcia too, it won't let me...

#12 2006-06-11 07:34:41

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Eugenia wrote:

I don't think that the "/etc/rc.d/network stop" unloads my wifi modules, no.

I tried to remove orinoco, but it says that it's needed by orinoco_cs. Trying to unload orinoco_cs, it won't let me. I tried to unload pcmcia too, it won't let me...

i meant.....

ensure that the network is stopped, and if you use wpa, make sure you stop wpa_supplicant. just be sure that anything that could be using the card is stopped. any daemons, anything.

THEN unload the modules, using lsmod as a guide.

THEN suspend.

#13 2006-06-11 16:40:45

Eugenia
Website

Well, of course first I stop network and then try to unload the modules. BTW, I use WEP.

Board footer