You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-29 11:29:21

ssm@arch

Issues with the intellihide feature of xfce4-panel under compiz 0.9.13

I am using a second xfce4-panel (bottom of screen) as a dock (xfce version 4.12), and the built-in intellihide feature works perfectly under xfwm4 or compton. However, under compiz (which is my WM of choice), I am experiencing a weird bug. If the panel area is not overlapped by some window, i.e. when the panel is visible, everything works as expected. However, when some open window overlaps with the panel area so that the panel is hidden, I can take the mouse pointer near the bottom of the screen to unhide the panel but I cannot (left-) click to open any panel launcher. Whenever I click on an item, the panel gets hidden again. Strangely, this happens only with left-click, right-clicking works and the usual popup menu shows up. Also, this problem does not seem to appear with the autohide feature. So far I have tried various window rules for xfce4-panel in CCSM but in vain. Any insight or solution would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2017-03-29 16:33:18

Annoyingduck

Re: Issues with the intellihide feature of xfce4-panel under compiz 0.9.13

This has been a bug that has been around since the intelligently hide option was introduced with XFCE.  The issue happens only when intelligently hide is selected when using Compiz - while autohide does not have the issue. There are several bug reports on XFCE's Bugzilla about this issue including mine https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13348.  So as of now it's just something you'll have to deal with until the XFCE team gets around to fixing it.  RIght now their main focus is GTK3, so it's really unknown if they will get to it any time soon.  A work around that I use is very simple, use a third party dock. 

Plank and Cairo dock both run great on XFCE with Compiz with Plank being simple and Cairo being more advanced. Few tips: with plank, hold control and right click the dock to access it's settings and for autostarting add the command "plank" into your startup applications.  While Cairo Dock runs great with Compiz, the standard autostart has a bug where it's screwy upon the initial autostart launch at boot when using it with Compiz (you'll see what I mean when you run it).  The solution is to delay the autostart of Cairo by 5 seconds. To do this create a file called "cario-dock.sh" somewhere in your home folder and add this in the file

#!/bin/bash
(sleep 5s && cairo-dock) &

Then in Thunar under properties/permissions click "allow this file to run as a program" and then add that file to your startup applications (be sure to uncheck the original Cairo Dock startup entry).  I do that with several apps (Cairo Dock, Megasync, Insync) with varying delay times.  You can use that script configuration for any app - just change the program command name/script name/and delay amount.

Board footer