You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-31 15:54:35

AWildGeth

Installing Origin with WINE

I've really been trying to get Origin installed, which I know is fully possible. I've followed multiple guides, but it just never installs. The whole process is fine, but once it gets to where the Origin install wizard pops up, it closes immediately (or doesn't even appear). My Wine Prefix is 32-bit as needed for Origin. I've tried with just Wine, and I've tried multiple times with PlayOnLinux. I feel I am getting nowhere, and want to see if there's anyone here who has already installed Origin and can help.

EDIT: I have tried installing it with 32-bit Windows XP setup for Wine with the Legacy installer. It worked the first time, but there was an issue where I needed to wipe the virtual drive and redo it. I redid it the exact same as before, but it no longer works, telling me I have to update to a newer version of Origin and won't let me use it. Also, here is the log from PlayOnLinux's debugger for when trying to install the latest Origin as 32-bit Win7: http://imgur.com/a/R6FEz

Last edited by AWildGeth (2017-01-06 14:50:36)

#2 2017-01-06 10:54:15

Omar007

Re: Installing Origin with WINE

As far as I know the thin installer has never worked on WINE, neither has updating to new Origin versions.
In the past I had to use the legacy/fat installer and manually move over the latest version from a Windows installation (if the version installed by the installer was not the latest one).

Maybe things changed in the last WINE releases but I have not tried Origin in WINE since some of the first releases of 1.9. Did you check the WINE AppDb for Origin?

Last edited by Omar007 (2017-01-06 10:54:34)

#3 2017-01-06 14:45:56

AWildGeth

Omar007 wrote:

As far as I know the thin installer has never worked on WINE, neither has updating to new Origin versions.
In the past I had to use the legacy/fat installer and manually move over the latest version from a Windows installation (if the version installed by the installer was not the latest one).

Maybe things changed in the last WINE releases but I have not tried Origin in WINE since some of the first releases of 1.9. Did you check the WINE AppDb for Origin?

The only Legacy installer I can find is the Legacy Thin Installer. I imagine the Full Legacy installer would work just fine. I have checked WineHQ, and tried all of the things others had said to do in their testing. I forgot to include this in the original post, but here is the log from PlayOnLinux's debugger when doing the full install with current Origin release: http://imgur.com/a/R6FEz

#4 2017-01-08 17:05:32

AWildGeth

Please, if anyone has installed Origin successfully or has any ideas, I'd really like some help. I've tried so many ways for the past few days and am getting nowhere. Really hoping for some replies here

#5 2017-03-29 23:09:11

dirkgently

Hi,

I've looked into this and there is a solution of sorts.  The trick is that basically you have to install inside a real Windows XP/Vista instance, and then copy the files over.

The fundamentals are:
* The new Origin 10.x client does not yet work with Wine, that I've been able to see
* Updates don't work for either the new or legacy client
* Therefore the 'Thin' installer won't work, even for legacy

That said, you do need to be up to date in order to login to Origin.

So here's what I did:

a. fetched the last 9.x version of OriginSetup.exe (ie. the standalone/offline installer) from FileHippo
b. setup a 32-bit wine prefix, and set the OS to Vista (XP will work as well)
c. ran wine OriginSetup.exe to install the old version

This gives me a working Origin, but too old.

Next bit is tricky.  You need a Windows XP/Vista machine.  I have an old version of Windows XP that I run in a Virtualbox instance.

Download and install the current legacy install from https://www.dm.origin.com/download/legacy

Once installed, copy the c:\Program Files\Origin\ folder, and drop it in overtop of where you installed Origin in your wine prefix.

Then you'll have the up to date legacy client in place, in your wine prefix, and it should work.

I was able to login, see my games, and began downloading Sims 4.

If there are mandatory updates to the Origin client, you'll probably have to update it under your windows virtual machine, and then copy the files over again.

Updating within Wine has never worked, and probably isn't likely to start working.

Board footer