You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-02 08:33:21

Atraii

Hard freeze with AMDGPU on HD7950 in games

I can start games fine, but after 3-5 seconds or so (about the time it takes for the graphics card fans to spin up to full speed) the screens turn off and the computer stops responding to input. The game audio starts to glitch/loop in the background. System control sequences CTRL+ALT+DEL (15 times) have no effect. This problem seems to only occur so far in games, though it may happen in other GPU intensive environments. This issue is reproducible in Dreamfall Chapters, Dota 2, and SuperTuxKart. I haven't seen this come up recently elsewhere.

My system info:
Kernel: 4.10.6-1-ARCH
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.9.4
Display Driver: amdgpu
Server: X.Org 1.19.3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti

Just to double check that the hardware wasn't giving out on me, I booted up the old windows partition and ran the same games in similar settings on windows without issue. Any idea what could be the root cause here?

#2 2017-04-02 11:04:04

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Hard freeze with AMDGPU on HD7950 in games

Have you managed to get any logs from the sessions that crashed? Please post the output of 'lspci -nnk'. Does it happen if you use the radeon driver instead of amdgpu?

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-04-02 15:40:00

Atraii

Output of lspci:
https://ptpb.pw/0YdE

I'll test radeon now. A bit hesitant as each time it has crashed, it has caused me grief on my ext4 / partition. I was glad I dumped a backup the first time I started having issues. Fsck failed to bring it back after the last one.

There isn't anything out of place in `journalctl -a --since today`, nor in the `Xorg.log.0.old`. Anywhere else I should be grabbing useful logs from? I can post those if you think they might be useful.

EDIT: I tested with amdgpu blacklisted instead of radeon. The radeon driver was correctly shown as loaded in lspci -nnk. The error persists with the radeon driver as well.

Last edited by Atraii (2017-04-02 16:03:14)

#4 2017-04-02 17:52:17

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

It may be a power management issue.

I also have a gcn 1.0 card (an oland card more specifically) and as far as I've been told there is a bug in the drivers (both radeon and amdgpu) that makes the cards unstable with higher clocks. I have reported the bug upstream and it is fixed for my card but not in mainline yet.

I can trigger the bug reliably by running glmark2, the first test with the horse works fine but when starting the test with the rotating box it crashes. If you manage to reliably trigger the problem with should open a bug report upstream.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2017-04-02 20:52:43

Atraii

I created a clean install on a new partition so I could ensure nothing else was interfering. (and because I didn't want to keep risking my primary install even if I have it backed up.)

R00KIE wrote:

It may be a power management issue.
I can trigger the bug reliably by running glmark2, the first test with the horse works fine but when starting the test with the rotating box it crashes. If you manage to reliably trigger the problem with should open a bug report upstream.

I make it through all the way until the terrain test and then it crashes every time for me. I think it is a power management issue as well. Where should I file this bug report?

Also, could you link me your bug report so I can reference it on my ticket?

Last edited by Atraii (2017-04-02 20:55:31)

Board footer