You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-03 00:22:18

mrbojangles

first time install

Hello,

I am not new to linux, but I am new to Arch. I have the last 32bit Arch live iso running in virtualbox which boots to a root command prompt. Install.txt gives an overview of commands and I printed the installation guide. Is there a more detailed document available for a newbie first time install? I am familiar with partitioning, formatting and installing opensuse, but I have not done an install from the command prompt before. I would like to give Arch a try intrigued by its wide customization options.

#2 2017-04-03 00:38:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: first time install

No. The Installation Guide is the only supported documentation. It is deceptively short because each section links to more detailed explanations on other parts of the wiki. So you are effectively required to create your own installation guide based on the choices you make about how you want to install Arch (eg., with LVM or RAID, or both, or none etc).

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-04-03 00:43:42

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

No -- the Installation Guide links to relevant topics in the wiki, and should give you enough information to successfully install Arch.

If you have specific problems during your installation, feel free to ask, but give details about what you have tried, and exactly what did not work.

Please read the Code of Conduct specifically How to Post before posting to ask questions.

Do not try to use a youtube video or blog post as a guide during your install. Those are almost always outdated and/or wrong, and are not supported here.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2017-04-03 00:45:43)

#4 2017-04-03 00:49:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

2ManyDogs wrote:

If you have specific problems during your installation, feel free to ask...

I want to second this, but expand on it a bit.  Please ask here before trying to find some other sources not from our forums or wiki.  If you are confused at some point and ask here we will be happy to help.

In contrast, if you are confused at some point, then you go find some random blog that claims to make installing arch "easy" it will almost certainly lead you down the wrong path - then when you come back here looking for help, we will try to help, but it will not be as easy nor as pleasant for anyone.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-04-03 22:15:11

Mortimer Houghton

Additionally, if you can get an internet connection, the iso has elinks and you can have the wiki (and forums) up in tty2 while running the install in tty1

Last edited by Mortimer Houghton (2017-04-03 22:15:46)

Board footer