You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-13 18:10:20

kazetsukai

Kernel Upgrade breaks Wifi for GPD Win (brcmfmac, bcm4356)

Did a full system upgrade today, including kernel 4.10.1 (from 4.9.11). Broke Wifi on the GPD Win. DMESG:

[    4.512113] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[    4.512164] brcmfmac 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    4.512307] brcmfmac: brcmf_chip_recognition: chip backplane type 15 is not supported
[    4.512325] brcmfmac: brcmf_pcie_probe: failed 14e4:43ec

Downgrading the kernel resolves the issue. Can anyone clarify as to what a "chip backplane type" is, or what "15" stands for?

As far as I can see, this is coming from source/drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/chip.c lines 923-979 (socitype variable check), but there are no changes I can see in this file between the two kernel versions. It must be higher in the stack- is it possible to get a trace of this error?

#2 2017-03-13 20:16:53

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Kernel Upgrade breaks Wifi for GPD Win (brcmfmac, bcm4356)

Okay, I don't have your hardware, but I did a Google search for "brcmf_chip_recognition: chip backplane type 15 is not supported" and I literally found the answer in the first item on the results page -- unsurprisingly, a link back to these very forums.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-03-17 22:28:52

brittanderson

I have the same device and the same problem. However trying to use the broadcom-wl-dkms driver (which is the only related archlinux forum question I found via google) did not solve the problem. Do you have any additional suggestions?

#4 2017-03-18 14:33:24

Lone_Wolf

Try booting with a few different kernels to see where the problem occurred first ?

Linux-lts is at 4.9.15 , ALARM has 4x different 4.10 kernel packages i think.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2017-04-05 16:34:13

kazetsukai

ewaller wrote:

Okay, I don't have your hardware, but I did a Google search for "brcmf_chip_recognition: chip backplane type 15 is not supported" and I literally found the answer in the first item on the results page -- unsurprisingly, a link back to these very forums.

In case anyone is wondering, Administrator ewaller is referring to : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=216743
I saw this post before I decided to post here, it does not fix my problem. Perhaps I made an error not mentioning this?

You're obviously implying I didn't do this exact search, which I'll go ahead and rail you for. I understand you have to deal with a good lot of people who don't do their due diligence before posting, but would it hurt for you to pose the question, maybe reference the forum post, and leave out the snark? Unless of course you don't want folks like me reporting issues we've seen or looking for assistance in tracking them down. Care to weigh in on something of substance like "is it possible to get a trace of this error"?

As for the fix to this specific issue, I think I'm waiting on this patch:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9591821/

Hans actually has one of these devices it seems, and he's been actively working on a number of things. 4.11 looks like it adds support for the charge controller, among others. I don't think this patch is in there, we're probably waiting until 4.12 or 4.13.

#6 2017-04-05 17:04:31

ewaller
Administrator

kazetsukai wrote:

You're obviously implying I didn't do this exact search

I was.

which I'll go ahead and rail you for. I understand you have to deal with a good lot of people who don't do their due diligence before posting

This is true.

but would it hurt for you to pose the question, maybe reference the forum post, and leave out the snark?

Wouldn't hurt at all, I choose not to.

Unless of course you don't want folks like me reporting issues we've seen or looking for assistance in tracking them down.

Don't care.

Care to weigh in on something of substance like "is it possible to get a trace of this error"?

no.

It looks like you are making good headway on the problem.  I am truly happy for that. The information you have provided in this (your third) post vastly outpaces that which you provided in the your first pair that you posted back last month.  Consider what you gave us to go on -- we have no experience with you or your capabilities.  You posted something that piqued  my interest enough to do some research.  That research pointed me back to these very forums.  As I stated, I do not have your hardware and could not do much more than to point out that the issue has been addressed on these forums, and yes, you had not stated that you had looked at that article.   When you say it did not fix your problem, I assume that you installed the aur package and tried it.  Your post today is the first indication that had happened.  Clearly you have more skills than your first two posts would have indicated -- were there any messages in the logs that were of interest? did they change with the AUR package installed?

The link in my signature does represents my philosophical approach to these forums.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#7 2017-04-06 14:33:05

kazetsukai

ewaller wrote:

The link in my signature does represents my philosophical approach to these forums.

I'm not going to hold a grudge, consider the above a one-time rant.

So in response to this, I'm looking into making an AUR package with this patch against Kernel 4.11-rc5. This should bring in the charge controller support and the wifi fix, making the device a little more useful. I'm looking at the PKGBUILD documentation but I've never done this before so any input on how to do it right the first time would be appreciated.

I'll keep an eye on Hans' patchwork and add anything in that seems useful, as soon as I have a working PKGBUILD I'll get it into AUR and link to it here.

Any Wiki contributors here interested in this? There's an Arch Wiki page for this device, it needs updating to alert users of this issue.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPD_Win

EDIT: Hans has a page on his progress, and his own git repo.
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/17445.html

Last edited by kazetsukai (2017-04-06 14:38:33)

#8 2017-04-06 15:11:04

ewaller
Administrator

kazetsukai wrote:

I'm not going to hold a grudge, consider the above a one-time rant.

Fair enough.  Me either.
Besides, it is good to get the occasional reminder to temper my responses.

---

#9 2017-04-07 20:02:48

brittanderson

From this website: http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/17445.html
The following will work, depending on your bios version. It worked for me.

If you kernel is new enough it will trip over a BIOS bug which causes the wifi chip to get disabled, you can "fix" the BIOS bug (if you do not have
the 20161118 BIOS) by changing the following BIOS setting: "Chipset" -> "South Bridge" -> "LPSS & SCC Configuration" -> "SCC SDIO Support"

#10 2017-08-01 20:54:36

eworm
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Anybody wants try this?

linux-gpd 4.12.4
linux-gpd-headers 4.12.4

This is default Arch Linux kernel with patches from Hans de Goede's tree on top.

BTW, we have gpdfand in AUR.

ArchLinux - make it simple & lightweight

#11 2017-08-22 13:10:23

fifthecho

eworm wrote:

Anybody wants try this?

Works quite well for me. The battery still doesn't register, but past that everything looks good.

#12 2017-08-31 15:14:33

ghus
Banned

eworm wrote:

Anybody wants try this?

linux-gpd 4.12.4
linux-gpd-headers 4.12.4

This is default Arch Linux kernel with patches from Hans de Goede's tree on top.

BTW, we have gpdfand in AUR.

Hi, can I ask you how did you install gpdfand-git?

The perl-log-dispatch 2.57-1 dependencie is flagged out-of-date

I am trying to use it for the GPD Pocket.
Thanks in advance.

I'll try the kernel.

Sorry: maybe I should have made a new thread with this reference.

Last edited by ghus (2017-08-31 16:23:39)

#13 2017-09-01 11:02:44

ghus
Banned

eworm wrote:

Anybody wants try this?

linux-gpd 4.12.4
linux-gpd-headers 4.12.4

Hi, I am sorry for my newbism, I did not understand: to install the kernel from those links, did I just need to use "pacman -U", or have I to recomplile the kernel?

Also I read from the Hans de Goede that those patch must be used with the unlocked BIOS, so maybe I have also to switch back to that version...I know the GPD Pocket and the GPD Win are not the same, but they have almost the same hardware, and his patches are referred for this device too.
Many explanations are for Gnome or debian based distro, so I never used those respin ISO.
I will not continue on this thread also, and open a new one if I will not find a solution.
Sorry for my last, also.

#14 2017-09-01 20:16:57

The_Idiot_You_yell@

fifthecho wrote:
eworm wrote:

Anybody wants try this?

Works quite well for me. The battery still doesn't register, but past that everything looks good.

I can echo this. Works quite well

Board footer